Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
just bought a focus 1.6 lx 2005, and filled the car up on wednesday. Exactly a week later, done 102 miles and left with nearly half a tank. Is this right? I traded in my 2.0 passat and could do 70 miles before the needle started to move, but this car did it after 20 miles. Im not driving hard, but not long distances either and worried that my tank/gauge may be faulty or something is eating my fuel. Also the temp gauge is not quite in the middle, probably about 5ml adrift or possibly reading about 80 degrees. Is this right, or again a faulty gauge. Can some one point me in the right direction please.

·
Registered
16,351 Posts
NEVER compare two different cars as far as the fuel gauges go, I can physically bend any fuel sending unit on the planet to seem to go 100 miles before moving, or rebend it to eat a lot of fuel quickly. Meaning your comparison is heavily flawed there.

5ml is a liquid bulk amount number NOT a unit of linear measurement, I figured you guys overseas would know that...................the temp gauges are highly damped and many read like that, they are NOT exact at all, and commonly a mistake to think so.

·
Super Moderator
9,527 Posts
We used to call the gauges and lights as "idiot" lights and gauges. Meaning that anyone can read them relatively easy with little information. The temperature gauges in todays cars are never accurate. Like amc49 stated, you can screw around with it and make it read any temperature you want. Especially if the needles have been removed at any point and time. I would only pay attention to the temperature gauge if it were reading into the extreme conditions.

Now as for the fuel gauges. Most are going to be different in one way or another. My Focus takes about 40 miles for the needle to move, the F150 doesn't move for about 60 miles, and my Miata moves within 20 miles. So you can see what we are getting at when we say there are differences. What I would do is fill the tank out and run it out to almost empty. Then fill it up and keep track of the mileage you are getting between fill ups. Don't run out the gas tank completely as it might damage the fuel pump. Just in case, carry a small amount of gas with you when you do this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts