Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i thought i had an alternator problem but now its looking like a fuel problem. my car pulls untill i hit 4000 rpm then i lose all fuel pressure. it goes from 47psi to 7psi. does this seem like a simple fuel pump or could it be a pressure regulator. im not sure what to do.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Early Foci had issues with the fuel pump. There is no FPR to change- you have a return-less EFI system. The fuel pump's voltage is regulated by the FP control module under the passenger rear seat. On your fuel rail, there is a fuel sensor that checks fuel temp, pressure, and gives information to the FP control module. There is also a flying saucer looking contraption that looks similar to a FPR, however it is positioned at the front of the fuel rail, and only has a line in and line out- it's called the fuel pulse damper. If it was a FPR, then it would have a return line. Typically FPRs are at the opposite end of the fuel rail from the incoming fuel line, and there is a return line coming out of them going back to the tank.

Ok, so knowing that early Foci had fuel pump problems, that's the first place to look, although it would be nice if we could test the fuel sensor and FP control module to be sure those were good before changing the fuel pump. I don't know how to test those. You can take the car in to a dealer and complain about the fuel situation, and you might get a new fuel pump out of it. I know Ford extended the recall on those cars, but I'm not sure about exactly how it's worded. Ask a service advisor at the dealer if you qualify for the fuel pump replacement program. A dealer would know how to test the FPCM and FS. If it was the FPD, you'd feel a different problem. Read Grinder's description, and make sure you can reproduce the problem every single time, otherwise there's no hope for a repair besides throwing parts at the car until you find what fixes it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info whynothinkwhynot ill keep trying to figure this out. i had my buddies tuner on the car and at full throttle i lose all my fuel pressure it seems. ill go to the dealer near me and see what they say. what can happen either them replace my fuel pump or maybe tell me whats wrong lol. im hoping its just my fuel pump. in the focus you can change them from inside the car right? you dont have to drop the tank right.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aww damn i do gotta drop the tank looks like ill be trying to get the car to go till im on e again lol. thanks alot for the info guys

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
If you need to drain it, pull the fill tube off the back of the tank. You then can stick a tube down it to suck the rest out. You can get a small hand pump at any auto parts store, harbor freight has the same hand pump for eve less at there store.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Remember to purchase a fuel filter at the same time on the same receipt as the fuel pump. Most fuel pump makers will not honor their warranty without a new filter. You should also open the package and make sure you get the particulate filter (sock) with the kit. I think all these fuel pump kits are complete assemblies, so you should have everything.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok now real quick. i just did a fuel filter about 3 months ago which sucks now that i have this problem! lol and i was talking to my pops and he still thinks its my catalyic converter. im sold on my fuel pump going bad. my dad says that my cat could just be holding everything back. my buddys sct tuner is saying that im losing all fuel pressure though and that my fuel pump has no pressure at open throttle. im so lost! about to just punch out the cat first to see if thats the problem! i just made another post about doing that actually. does anyone know how i could find out if it really is my catalyic converter? it isnt doing the rotten smell or anything so i have no idea.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thats what i thought but i just worry im gonna purchase something and that not be the issue. i dunno i question myself alot haha. im going to have one more person look at it or drive it and see if they say fuel pump to. if so im buying it. i havent gone to the dealer yet either. i seen someone said that my pump could have been part of the recall. how do i find out if i can still get that recall?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Wouldn't matter anymore if it was a part of the recall, it's been 10yrs they won't cover it. They won't cover mine due to mileage and age, so I'm sure it'd be the same for you. Don't question it anymore. You hooked up a SCT device and saw that the pressure was dropping or gone. That's your proof, no more deciding or wondering what do you want a sign from god [:p]? Case closed IMO. But it's up to you what you decide to do from here.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what fuel pump do you guys recommend? i was just going to go with an aftermarket oem since i dont have any hardcore mods or anything. what you guys think?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts