Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the owners manual states you must use 91 octane, but has anyone tried less than this? 91 octane is almost $2.00 a gallon here.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Dang! Gas is pretty high for where u live .. its climbing up here to i used to buy just mobil now i drive to sheetz or wawa which is about 1.63.. i haven't tried anything less than 91 don't wanna mess anything up.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
one time the 91 octane pump was broken and i only had a chevron card no money so i put it medium it ran ok but im sure it wasn't great for my engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
nah man you really can tell the difference when you use regular gas. My cousin put in 87 octane into his svt focus and it ran wierd like as if surging and bogging down. I dont recomend using cheap gas man even if is cheaper. If you have to use the cheap gas put in some octane booster to pick it up

·
Registered
76 Posts
Svt4life said:
Dang! Gas is pretty high for where u live .. its climbing up here to i used to buy just mobil now i drive to sheetz or wawa which is about 1.63.. i haven't tried anything less than 91 don't wanna mess anything up.
It's $1.85 here right now, and that's probably the lowest I've seen in over a year.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hmm, I was told that 91 octane was required for the SVT, but 87 for everything else. The manual says for my car, don't use anything over or under 87.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Sorry but I've only ever used 93, nothing more, nothing less. With the SVTF being such a high compression motor, I dont want to run a risk of messing anything up by using anything less than required.

Just a thought, I dont know if anybody else's service dept do this, but mine will check the fuel to make sure its what octane is required.

Right now premium gas here is $1.70, regular is $1.50 per gallon.

·
Registered
831 Posts
With using a lower octane gas, you COULD develop a knock in the engine. Thata is the only reasoning behind that. They required it for my SVT Contour but I started to put in 89 and got around fine for about 3 months. Then started the knock that lead to the demise of my babby! She died at 40K! "Thank god for warranties and the lemon law." I waited and got the SVT Focus and havent put less than 91 in because I dont want the heart break and loss of pocket change!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldnt use less then 91 like the car says. Besides is saving $2.00 a tank really worth possibly damaging your car? And here in SE WI premium is around $1.80-85 and regular is around $1.67, not a huge difference when you think about it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The engine's electronics will prevent any damage due to pre-ignition, but your mileage and/or performance will take a noticeable hit. You'll also be in knock sensor hell.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Same here the knock sense will retard the spark and you will lose power and ecomony. Might just as well spend the money on 91 and get all the economy and power for your money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only gas for my SVT 5-door is Sunoco 94 octane, which, according to consumer reports is the best fuel on the market.

·
Registered
17 Posts
anything below 91 octane will run really poor i use shell and exxon only the car has a knock sensor but that dosent always save it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remember the knock sensor doesn't retard timing until it detects the knock -- and by then, some damage has already occured. In the winter months when there is plenty of cooling, you can probably get by with 89 octane, but in the summer when things heat up and the cooling system starts working overtime, you -need- that 91+ octane. Don't try to save 10-15 cents per gallon just because gas is expensive right now.

Greg

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
$1.75 a gallon of 91 octane here in Houston as for the Octane ^^^^ you are correct don't try to save money buy putting in cheap gas your just gonna mess up your car

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gas here in AZ. has been going up 1-2 cents a DAY!![:eek:] For about the last two weeks gas has been increasing.Was paying $1.58, now $1.79, most Scottsdale stations are $1.89. They say its going up since it's cold back east!

·
Registered
604 Posts
SVT FR200 said:
The only gas for my SVT 5-door is Sunoco 94 octane, which, according to consumer reports is the best fuel on the market.
I've run mid-grade (89) since the beginning, with no problem. If I were running wide-open throttle, full-loaded, or with a trailer , I might buy 91. Otherwise, there's no need and no noticeable power loss for normal driving using mid-grade.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Kalos said:
I've run mid-grade (89) since the beginning, with no problem. If I were running wide-open throttle, full-loaded, or with a trailer , I might buy 91. Otherwise, there's no need and no noticeable power loss for normal driving using mid-grade.
I don't know about that one because my friend who has a svtf let his sister drive and she put in 89 and he said when he got hte car back it was running like crap and on the owners manual it does say to put in 91 octane. Plus alot of people who have used 89 have said that the car runs like crap. Iono i find that kinda weird that ur car doesn't run differently. I always put in 91 no matter wat car i drive. My whole family has always used 91 or higher. I guess it just depends on you but i just feel better using a higher grade. I guess its a mental thing [cool] * btw the last post on this thread was back in feb lol *

1 - 20 of 52 Posts