Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, couple quick questions. Also I should mention I know very little about cars or repairs on cars. Me and my wife bought a 2015 Ford Focus about 32 days ago. It started shuddering kind of when accelerating and then it wasn’t gaining much power going up incline. The other day it also lost any gas/power to accelerate on the freeway. We got it to drive but it wouldn’t go above 30-40 mph. We let it rest for a bit then drove it but of course the check engine light was on. After driving for about 10 minutes we parked. Went to turn it back on but it would start and die. We put very little gas in it and it started, made it around a corner and died. Because of gas prices we haven’t been able to keep much gas in it, riding on empty a couple times. Is this the cause of the issue? If we filled the tank and tried to drive it would it fix itself? Ford
Is over 3 weeks out for repairs right now and it’s our only car. I’m guessing it’s the fuel injectors, but is that something I can fix myself if I don’t have any mechanics tools? Any help or knowledge would be more than appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I’m guessing it’s the fuel injectors, but is that something I can fix myself if I don’t have any mechanics tools?
Forget about it.

Because of gas prices we haven’t been able to keep much gas in it, riding on empty a couple times. Is this the cause of the issue? If we filled the tank and tried to drive it would it fix itself?
IDK. But you should never run below 1/4 tank anyway. It's bad for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
A lot of complaint at the start of OP comes across like the normal trans issues that trans can have if the automatic that is not an automatic. The powershift trans.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Doubtful it's the injectors - These engines are direct injection, but does sound like a low fuel issue and the powershift transmission (plenty of documented issues with it).

Put more than 1/4 tank in if you can, running on empty will certainly cause issue and bcat is right on trying not to let fuel level go below 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
2012 titanium
46 Posts
The shudders seem like dct issues but if you in tank pump isn't getting enough fuel or is going bad from running it on empty that can cause the engine to stutter almost mimicking the feeling of the trans. The stalling and dying and restart problems is leading me to your in tank pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry you are having trouble with your vehicle. Please Google and view YouTube postings about this vehicle. There were several recalls on this vehicle. Class action suit against Ford on the Ford Focus. Make sure the recalls have been completed. You may still have a warranty for the TCM depends on the mileage. Do your homework. Sorry, some of us have to learn the hard way. Do your research b4 purchasing a use vehicle; Check every electronic source available. And not everything is reported to Car Fax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts