Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell when you have a sticky or failing injector?

My problem is at cold start up, the car runs at 3 cylinders for a few seconds then finally clears out and evens out the idle. Then when i drive it, it bucks or hick ups under load until the car finally warms up. then everything is fine.

I thought it was the ignition system, so I've replaced plugs, wires, and coil. replaced primary O2 sensor, if i allow the car to run on 3 cylinders at warm up,I get a P0301 code. So if it's the injector, i assumed it's #1 injector.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can tell when you throw lean/rich codes and by looking at the injector pid and spark plug.

Check this out. $135 dollars to clean/rebuild/test all 4 injectors with 3 day return shipping.
http://www.injector.com/

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Move the injector and see if the code follows.

I would say to check the 'boot' and possibly the intake gasket on that cylinder is old enough that it's leaking slightly.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i just got the same code had a faulty valve cover gasket leaked oil on my plug and replaced the valve cover when i did this cleaned the plug no more code try that easy fix. you just have to pull the svt cover and see it there is oil in ur plugs.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Bad Plug
Bad Wire
Bad Coil
Bad Signal Wire
Bad Injector
Bad Seal (Valves/Intake/Injector/Rings)

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
If It was me I would get a xcal scan tool and see what the issue is , there is bound to be a member that has a xcal you can barrow to see whats bad vs just randomly changing parts hoping you get lucky

It would be very very rare for it to be an Inj

Tom

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just got the same code had a faulty valve cover gasket leaked oil on my plug and replaced the valve cover when i did this cleaned the plug no more code try that easy fix. you just have to pull the svt cover and see it there is oil in ur plugs.
That might be my problem. I have a leaking vavle cover, and each time i checked the plugs, there was oil sitting in there.

Bad Plug
Bad Wire
Bad Coil
Bad Signal Wire
Bad Injector
Bad Seal (Valves/Intake/Injector/Rings)
Change them all except injector.

If It was me I would get a xcal scan tool and see what the issue is , there is bound to be a member that has a xcal you can barrow to see whats bad vs just randomly changing parts hoping you get lucky

It would be very very rare for it to be an Inj

Tom
Thank you Tom, I see what i can find and have it scanned, but i think shadow might be right.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you have over 60k it's a good idea to have your injectors serviced and flow-benched anyway. Replace the fuel filter, too, its super easy especially since you'll have the fuel depressurized.

The only downside is not having the car running for a week while you have the injectors serviced. But the real advantage is reduced cost (opposed to buying new injectors) and a chart that shows you before and after cleaning, which will tell you if the injectors really had problems.

mrinjector.com (Idaho?)
witchhunterperformance.com (Washington)
cruzinperformance.com (Michigan)

all clean injectors for <$100 shipped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts