Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.K guys, I dont know who else has had this problem but this is not my first time with this...usually the injector nearest to the cam gears is the culprit. It is not always when I just install them or re-seat the fuel rail, no sometimes it is after a few hundred miles. Is there any trick or something for this crap to stop? it is annoying but the good thing is I am becoming a freaking pro at taking off that whole part of the fuel system. Any advice, hints, tricks, anything just let me know because Im about to lose my freaking mind here.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You've replaced the O-ring I suppose? I also assume it's leaking at the top- though you didn't say, that makes more sense. Did you ever look up inside the fuel rail to see if the old O-ring or part of it was stuck up in there?

Beyond that, I'd guess the problem can't be repaired unless you replace the fuel rail. Something must've been screwed up when that one was made because that is not a common problem from what I've seen on this board. Go junkyard hunting and get you a new fuel rail, soak it in carb cleaner, and install it on injectors with new O-rings if you haven't changed yours already.

Oh, one more thing, do you still have the retaining clips? If not, you might want to pick those up from the junkyard as well. You can never have too many of those.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wntwn, I will check in there to see if there is anything stuck up there. I just changed to the bosch injectors that dont have the groove in there for those clips. When I had the regular injectors in there with the clips it still did it though.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I think it's something wrong with your fuel rail then, but if I were you, I'd want to remove an O-ring and check it against a replacement. I seem to remember that I found different sizes of O-rings- there was no option, it was just that the ones I bought off the shelf were slightly larger than the ones that were on my injectors. I'd check into that, but I still think it's that the fuel rail port for that injector has been damaged somehow or was just never right.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok checked it out and it is as usual...the freaking o ring (top) on the first one was pinched and I checked all of them and the last one was pinched too. I replaced the orings with some from other injectors I have and so far so good...this always happens though...it seems good for a while and then.... I hope Im ok this time cause this is driving me up a wall. if it happens again im getting a cool new aftermarket fuel rail.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Not to be a peckerhead, but I think it might be the installer. I speak from personal experience- probably the only fuel leaks I ever had were a result of the same thing you're talking about- the ring slipped off during installation. You know it takes a good bit of force to get the rail back down on the injectors, and so the ring being forced out of place is not unheard of.

What I did to help remedy the situation was pull out the dipstick. After wiping it off with my fingers, I took my oily fingers and rubbed some residue on the O-rings. With that the rings slid in much easier without popping out of place. A little oil like that isn't going to hurt anything either.

I'm sorry I didn't think of it earlier. I guess my brain was on to some other sort of logical explanation, so I didn't think of it. This sort of thing shouldn't happen on it's own. Most likely the rings were in a similar place when you first installed them, and it simply took a little time before the misplacement caused a leak. The difference between you and I was that mine leaked immediately when I screwed it up.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you may be right that is why I was asking for a trick to do it correctly ...this has happened multiple times...very annoying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts