Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here it goes. My fuel gauge, when fully topped off with fuel, was at 3/4 tank. I opened up the cluster and pulled the needle off. I put the needle back on pointing at the "F". Now, my low fuel light comes on at 1/4 tank. I think that is way too soon because I have like 3 gallons left and can drive for another 70 miles or so without running out of fuel. Does anyone know what is wrong with the gauge or the fuel tank?

·
Registered
114 Posts
from working on old cars, might be a problem with the fuel sender unit. from what you tell us about the gauge reading 3/4 when full and the light coming on at 1/4, it sounds like the sender is stuck, malfunctioning, or it might be user error, but i wouldn't have reset the gauge. it obviously isn't the problem.

did you replace the tank with a smaller one? did you replace the fuel sender unit with a larger tank unit

are you really filling it all the way? not too fast? are you guessing the gas left by how much you add back in and what the tank should hold? are you sure the tank is a 14 gal, as apposed to a 10 (depending on your assumptions) ? if we can be sure it's not just you, we can narrow the problem more efficiently.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
99% of the time the problem is the sending unit in the fuel tank, 1% of the time the gauge in the instrument cluster.

You almost certainly have a problem with the sender unit in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel tank is stock. I have driven the car till it literally ran out of gas. Then filled it to about 13.8 gallons or so. When I did that, the fuel gauge read 3/4 tank. I will have the sender unit checked. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
114 Posts
running your car out of gas is a very bad thing for several parts, mostly your fuel pump.

i'd have that "checked" while you were at it, but unless you personally know your mechanic, expect them to tell you it needs to be replaced. the sender should be replaced though since it is probably broken in some fashion.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I see you have a 2000. I would get the fuel pump (aka fuel sending unit) checked, if you haven't already had it replaced. There is an active recall for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts