Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, hopefully somebody can enlighten me. I was recently working on my car ( nothing major) but I needed the ignition on and off then I left it on and battery died. jumped the car drove around the block and its fine BUT the fuel gauge stays on empty and the warning light for low fuel stays on.

any solution or causes known to this? all help appreciated.

cheers

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Wow, that is strange. Can't help you but... on most older Foci that system is dead simple. A 2-wire circuit that goes in-between the fuel tank and directly back to the instrument cluster. Based on this, and if your car is designed the same way, here are my guesses;

1 - Defect with the instrument cluster
2 - Defect with the fuel quantity sensor inside the fuel tank
3 - A wiring problem in-between the 2 components above

If I was you, I would disconnect the car battery for 10 minutes and pet the car gently and say nothing but nice words to it. Then reconnect the battery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thing is it only happened after the battery died so I doubt any of those issues could arise from that.... BUT you never know haha. I will for sure pet the car nicely ( I am getting a new battery anyway for winter)

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
thing is it only happened after the battery died so I doubt any of those issues could arise from that.... BUT you never know haha. I will for sure pet the car nicely ( I am getting a new battery anyway for winter)
Maybe not from it dying, but the Jump-Start coulda' pissed-off somebody inside that circuit. Disconnecting the battery for awhile might bring the moon and stars back into alignment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turns out it was gremlins, i changed the battery b/c its old and wasent doing so well. but after i changed it car wouldnt start... seemed like it wasent gettin enough fuel. did the touching of the battery cables together for the hard reset and it started up. thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts