Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep getting told that my fuel filter needs changing cause, for one reason, its rusted up like hell... and that was months ago. I'm getting quoted $40 so I've been considering doing this myself. Who has done this? Is it easy enough for me do to myself? I've found the following sources below, but is there anything that I should consider before doing this? Is there any tips anyone can give me for doing this smoothly and accuratly? Thanks guys (gals)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w94U5Ytv6FE
www.myfordfocus.com (can't open this anymore)

Thanks!

·
Registered
940 Posts
It's easy honestly. The hardest part by far is getting those damn clips off. I was told you need a special tool to remove them but I went in with a screw driver and ended up breaking all three. Afterwords we figured out a little trick and now I can't seem to remember it. I believe if you take the screw driver and push it in a little then slide the clip out it comes off no problem. I tried to pry it open all the way and they snap like nothing else.

With my 06 the filter wasn't where everyone said it would be. It was more towards the middle of the car on the passenger side. I'm not sure if it's the same in an 04.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Its doable. If your mechanically inclined. If not, pay the $40...Only you can answer that question.

·
Registered
369 Posts
DON'T break the clips and DON'T get a face full of gas and DON'T get grit in the line going to the injectors. DO enjoy yourself. [thumb]

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
It's easy honestly. The hardest part by far is getting those damn clips off. I was told you need a special tool to remove them but I went in with a screw
NO You do not need a special tool for the clips.
NO You do not need to remove the clips.
NO It is not hard, people make it hard.
YES! If you break clips, then you can get new ones. Find a place that sells Wix filters, those come with 2 of the correct clips, or search online for places that sell the full range of Doorman products. You're probably best off searching for "Ford Fuel Line clip" and look for the one without the triangular head. The triangular head is the old style.

All you have to do is press on the white rectangle. Yes, that is a separate piece of plastic. For some reason people think when it's 2 separate pieces- something needs to be removed. All you have to do is pinch the end of the line right there, and you'll feel it release. Ford changed to this design because changing clips designed to break is stupid. Ford will probably change back because of people who can't accept new ways.

I do suggest always getting the Wix filter, or another filter that comes with the correct clips. Wix filters will typically come with the old style clips because many vehicles use our filter. The last time I got one it had the new clips in it as well- 4 total clips in the kit. The old clips will not work where the new clips are without some clever modification.

Ford supplied everyone with a short fuel line section on the inflow side of the fuel filter because you can easily get your fingers around the fuel line fitting at the end of the short line instead of all cramped up in there around that side of the filter itself. That short line is easy to remove with the filter/bracket.

I can understand if someone breaks a clip the first time because they simply can't believe what I write. I can't understand if they don't try it when the filter is out from under the car though. It's so easy, you feel the clip release when you pinch the end of the line by pressing on the rectangle. To install- just push the fuel line in, it goes in, but it won't come out. Double check that it won't pull out. Wow, it's so easy you'll be second guessing yourself because it was too easy. The hardest part of the whole project is removing the 5/16 or 8mm hex screw that holds the bracket in place- oh, and jacking the car correctly.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Remove fuse 12 .. start the car let it run till the motor stalls.. crank it twice .. press the white clips on the fuel filter and pull the clips out .. get ready for fuel spillage.. unbolt the filter with a 8mm .. bolt the new oone back .. put clips in .. put fuse in .. start car and drive it

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
NO You do not need a special tool for the clips.
NO You do not need to remove the clips.
NO It is not hard, people make it hard.
YES! If you break clips, then you can get new ones. Find a place that sells Wix filters, those come with 2 of the correct clips, or search online for places that sell the full range of Doorman products. You're probably best off searching for "Ford Fuel Line clip" and look for the one without the triangular head. The triangular head is the old style.

All you have to do is press on the white rectangle. Yes, that is a separate piece of plastic. For some reason people think when it's 2 separate pieces- something needs to be removed. All you have to do is pinch the end of the line right there, and you'll feel it release. Ford changed to this design because changing clips designed to break is stupid. Ford will probably change back because of people who can't accept new ways.

I do suggest always getting the Wix filter, or another filter that comes with the correct clips. Wix filters will typically come with the old style clips because many vehicles use our filter. The last time I got one it had the new clips in it as well- 4 total clips in the kit. The old clips will not work where the new clips are without some clever modification.

Ford supplied everyone with a short fuel line section on the inflow side of the fuel filter because you can easily get your fingers around the fuel line fitting at the end of the short line instead of all cramped up in there around that side of the filter itself. That short line is easy to remove with the filter/bracket.

I can understand if someone breaks a clip the first time because they simply can't believe what I write. I can't understand if they don't try it when the filter is out from under the car though. It's so easy, you feel the clip release when you pinch the end of the line by pressing on the rectangle. To install- just push the fuel line in, it goes in, but it won't come out. Double check that it won't pull out. Wow, it's so easy you'll be second guessing yourself because it was too easy. The hardest part of the whole project is removing the 5/16 or 8mm hex screw that holds the bracket in place- oh, and jacking the car correctly.
^^^ Cool info that wix now comes with both clips. The ones I have done (quite a few) have all had the old style clips only... and yes, after someone broke a new one at a garage day ( same thing, they didn't believe you could just press the button LOL)...I found you CAN make the old clip work in the new one LOL

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
very easy.

take the gas cap off before you remove the filter....your gonna spill a little bit of gas but this helps take some pressure away from the filter

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
^^^ Cool info that wix now comes with both clips.
I strongly suggest looking in the box before purchasing the Wix filter if you need it to replace a fuel line clip. I have bought Wix filters with the new clips, and with only the old clips. There might still be some old stock out there, or someone didn't drop everything they were supposed to in the box.

I screwed up a clip the first time I did a fuel filter, so it's not like I'm immune to stupidity. I was so stupid that I didn't even look for a how to- I know all this stuff about cars WTH do I need a manual for?

To release the clip you'll be crushing the end of the line where the clip fits- don't fret, it's plastic, it bounces right back into it's intended shape.

One thing not to skip is releasing pressure from the fuel line. Someone mentioned removing the gas cap. Ok, that's not all you have to do. In fact if that relieves anything, you need to have your evaporative emissions system checked. You either remove the fuel pump fuse, disconnect the fuel pump module from the pump, or disconnect the fuel cutoff switch- and then start the vehicle. It won't run for long if it runs at all. Cycle the key to start at least 2 times if it doesn't start and die.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks gentlemen! I'm not worried about the clips really... and I'm going to remove the fuse to the pump since thats the way I saw it on the video and seemed to work perfectly without leeks. And lifting only the rear passenger side is sufficient/safe enough to get at the filter?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Thanks gentlemen! I'm not worried about the clips really... and I'm going to remove the fuse to the pump since thats the way I saw it on the video and seemed to work perfectly without leeks. And lifting only the rear passenger side is sufficient/safe enough to get at the filter?
Yep I actually backed up on my ramps when I did mine, it was pretty easy. These are good directions http://myfordfocus.com/how-to/fuelfilter.htm

Took 20 minutes required 1 tool, look at the fuel filter clips for 60 seconds without yanking on stuff and you will figure out how they work. Keep an oil drain pan nearby to drop the old fuel filter into and watch the brown gunk come out also wear eye protection.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did the "pull the fuse, let it run until it dies" thing and there was still some residual pressure in the line, so do take care not to be directly under it when you pull the old filter off. Gas in the face is not a good thing, even if you're wearing safety glasses (which you should be).

It's really fairly simple, don't get yourself all worked up about the clips. Other thing to make sure to note is the direction that the filter goes in, you don't want to put the new one in backwards. The filters/lines aren't keyed to prevent you from doing this.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I did the "pull the fuse, let it run until it dies" thing and there was still some residual pressure in the line
I had that issue too, which is why I disconnect the fuel cutoff switch, also known as the inertia switch, instead. It takes a little more time, but does the trick. Multiple start attempts should make the fuse version work well. There is always gas in the fuel filter, and of course, never disconnect a line directly over your face.

Other thing to make sure to note is the direction that the filter goes in, you don't want to put the new one in backwards. The filters/lines aren't keyed to prevent you from doing this.
The flat side goes on the input, or towards the tank.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just finished... and I will never listen to any of you again! (J/K). No the advise was great but, I don't know if its specific to any year or model, I had to use the 10mm socket to remove the bracket and not the 5/16th. The small bolt on the bracket itself, holding the filter on, was 7mm. I highly recommend anyone do this themselves, it'll save you money and you'll have that feeling of satisfaction... priceless. Having to buy the filter and a couple of stands still cost less than getting it done at a shop ($40) and I have stands now. Well worth it! Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Something to add that I don't think was mentioned. Some fuel filters ship with small plastic caps on each end, presumably to prevent contaminants entering the filter during shipping. Last time I replaced the f/f these came in handy to slip on each end while the filter was still horizontal on the car. I still dripped a tiny bit of gas, but nowhere near what I did first time doing this.

just my 2c

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
one more thing... my check engine light has stayed on for 3 days now. The light went on as soon as I replaced the filter... should this go away or is this cause for concern?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts