Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people.

I just got done trying to change my fuel filter and gave up, freezing outside and couldnt hack it. The problem was getting those "user friendly clips" off the fuel line connect.
Does anyone know if the quick disconnect tools will work on these, and which kind?

Any info would greatly be appreciated, BTW its a 2001 Focus SE

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
They are squeeze clips.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Welcome to FF

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Haha I felt the same way. Just did this on my 2002 last thursday. When I have to do it again it will probably take half the time.

For those squeeze clips I had the best luck using a flat screwdriver and doing one side at a time.

can't find the website I used..Focus Hacks or something is the website.

take your time.. Once you get all the lines off I found it easiest to undo the mountain bolt at the top, took it out and then the bolt on the side is a 7mm, the top is 8mm.

The clasps do turn so you can angle them down for easier access to get them off. When you go to put them all back on, make sure they are all the way in or when you prime the engine (just turning the key to on, second click) you will have fuel spray everywhere under there, it will sound louder as well.

Good luck, post if you need anything.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Make sure you get a filter with the correct clip in the box. You will probably break one by removing it. The old style clip has a toenail, and although it can be made to fit with some modification- it is not right.

Also, if you do not discharge the fuel pressure, it will make it much harder to remove the fuel line clips, and you will get fuel sprayed in your face when it does happen. Fuel in the eyes is no fun, and can damage your eyesight forever. For this reason, I always recommend that a person changing the fuel filter keep a bottle of lukewarm water nearby. A typical plastic water bottle will suffice as an emergency eye wash. This is just enough to get the initial burn off, you should still wash your eyes for 15 mins under tap water. For this I use a kitchen sink sprayer turned upside down. It will be painful, and difficult because your eyes will want to stay shut. Not doing it means looking through a cloud for the rest of your life- if you're lucky.

·
Registered
414 Posts
What is the best way to relieve the fuel line pressure. I need to do my filter eventually and would like to not have to worry about residual pressure.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
What is the best way to relieve the fuel line pressure. I need to do my filter eventually and would like to not have to worry about residual pressure.
Read owners manual & find fuel pump fuse. Remove that fuse; F12 15A on my car. Start car, it will (usually) start, run and then die. Try to start car again. After this, the fuel line will still have enough pressure to squirt and hit you when a line is disconnected. I have learned and prefer to disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail (on engine) first in order to vent remaining pressure, with rags to catch fuel & prevent splash. This lessens the chances of getting hit with fuel while underneath the car doing the filter replacement.

BTW, I have never removed or partially removed the fuel line connector retaining clips. I only push-down on the clip, using the tip of my thumb or finger or similar.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Mine were seized, or at least very reluctant, so I sprayed some penetrating oil on them and had a coffee before attempting again.

Worked like a charm. You can substitute your beverage of choice.

Marde's suggestion of relieving residual pressure at the fuel rail is an excellent one. I just used rags around the line so any fuel that came out was soaked up rather than sprayed all over. But I would have preferred no fuel at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts