Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fuel Filter Change

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  inventiv 
#1 ·
Fuel Filter change

Ok so I need to change my fuel filter and have read a bunch of threads on it but still left a little confused after looking at it. Do I pull the lines first then undo the bracket. Also mine seemed to be tucked up there pretty well I couldn't figure out how to undo the bracket with it up there. Seemed like there is no way I could get a tool up there. If this makes sense someone let me know.

#3 ·
Ok so I need to change my fuel filter and have read a bunch of threads on it but still left a little confused after looking at it. Do I pull the lines first then undo the bracket. Also mine seemed to be tucked up there pretty well I couldn't figure out how to undo the bracket with it up there. Seemed like there is no way I could get a tool up there. If this makes sense someone let me know. Also I got the fram filter does it matter which end goes which direction, seems like theres a shorter and longer line coming from the filter.

#6 ·
Yes its very tight down there so make sure you use a decent size jack for good clearance. Also make sure you use jack stands for added safety.

Undo the lines first, then remove the bracket along with the filter from underneath the car. There is only one 8mm bolt holding the bracket to the car. Note that there will be some minor fuel leakage so be careful and wear protective goggles.

Once you unbolt the filter/bracket, slide the filter out from the bracket and put the new one in. The filter is directional meaning it flows one-way so make sure you replace it in the proper direction.

#14 ·
It is easier to remove the filter and the bracket together. You will need a long extension and you can easily reach the bolt that holds the bracket to the car body. After you remove the screw, you can move the filter a little to make it easier to disconnect the lines. The job is much nicer if you remove the fuel pump fuse and let the car run until it stalls, that gets the fuel pressure out of the lines. I did that and no fuel sprayed anywhere, but I would wear safety glasses anyways.

#15 ·
I did the "run til it stalls" thing. Still took gasoline to the face.
The clips that came with the filter wouldn't fit. Afraid of breaking original clips.
Couldn't get the bracket off the car.
Broke the clip for the "Evaporative Emmisions" line

Gave up and took it to the dealer. $20 Motorcraft filter. $20 Labor. No gasoline in the face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.