Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all got a quick one for you. Few days ago I'm filling up and I drop my filler cap cracking the damn thing in half. Of course I got the "Check Filler Cap'' light and today I changed to an OE cap (brand new). Problem is that the CFC light is still on. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Adam

·
Banned
172 Posts
disconnect the battery terminal for 10 min and put it back on. it should clear it out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yea, I think once the light is on, it takes quite a long time to clear even if the condition that caused the light no longer exists. You can force it to clear by disconnecting your battery, or by using a code reader to clear the code.

·
Slow n lifted
10,570 Posts
i think with the emissions code it has to be deleted. i have it on my car and replaced the gas cap. im about ready to take the cluster apart and just take the bulb out from behind there

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I just disconnected the battery while i was at work today...seemed to work alright.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just note that your idle might be a little rough and your shifts harder if you have an ATX, because the computer has to "re-learn" its behavior. If you notice this, nothing's wrong!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey guys my fuel filler cap light came on today and I haven't got any gas or anything lately but I did notice it was a bit lose so I tightened it until it clicked and then tried shutting off and on the car multiple times and the light still is lit up, is this something I should be concerned about or if not how long should it take to go away theres no mention in any manual about it taking a long time to go away...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Probably gotta put a few miles on it and have the computer not see the fault before the light will shut off. Just a guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Probably gotta put a few miles on it and have the computer not see the fault before the light will shut off. Just a guess.
Hey you were correct it did go off after a few days of driving. However there was 1 day with no lights on and now today my check engine light is on but reading the manual it could be something was wet and the same thing applies that it could take 3 driving cycles of 15km or more to turn off or it could be something else more serious. Talk about a stupid computer....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Something was wet? Not sure what that means. You shouldn't be having this many issues. The other thing to consider is disconnecting the battery terminal and resetting the computer. If you do this, the light will go out, but your engine will be a touch lumpy for a little while, until it 'settles in' again.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey you were correct it did go off after a few days of driving. However there was 1 day with no lights on and now today my check engine light is on but reading the manual it could be something was wet and the same thing applies that it could take 3 driving cycles of 15km or more to turn off or it could be something else more serious. Talk about a stupid computer....
Hi UFC205,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I recommend you to bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealership and have them diagnose your vehicle. If you need any further assistance, please contact Ford of Canada at 1-800-565-3673.

Deysha

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same stupid problem... replaced the fuel cap, reset the computer and the stupid light came back on again. can't pass emission untill i figure it out. doesn't make any sense to me. Is there some other reason this light is tripped?

·
Registered
81 Posts
nvm... just read this on another post :(

...the most common cause is a bad cap - but a leak in the evaporative emissions system can cause the same light, and that would need to be fixed to pass inspection in most states... Something you don`t want to pay for if you don`t need to.... Luck!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just a note on the check engine light. Disconnecting the battery will clear the light, if the problem is fixed, but also resets the adaptive learning process, so you get the rough idle etc. I'm not an expert on the new Fords, but when I taught EFI on the Ford ECC IV systems, it was like 10 engine thermal cycles, ie. from cold engine to warm engine back to cold, repeat without a recurrence of the problem, not just turning the key on and off 10 times that clears the code.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I believe we had this problem with the gas cap light a few years back and it turned out to be a cracked fuel filler neck that had a tiny leak. Car was under warranty at the time, and it took the dealer the better part of a week to figure it out. They first checked the gas cap, then the filler neck (decided it wasn't the problem), then traced the entire fuel system up into the engine compartment before backtracking again and finally figuring out that it was the filler neck...

It had like 20,000 miles on it, so it must have just been a defective component. Not saying that I guarantee this is your problem, but it's one possibility.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts