Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new Focus SE sedan yesterday. I then had the pleasure of an hour long back-road drive home. The first thing I've noticed is that the little "average MPG" indicator is playing to my obsessive compulsive side. It had me hypermiling before I knew what hypermiling was. Every tenth of a mile gained came with a surge of pleasure, while each one lost was a great irritation. Overall I was able to nurse it home at about 39.9 mpg (lost the last tenth from 40 in my neighborhood!).

So then, what do we know about putting every drop of fuel to use in these cars? I get the driving habits, but what else? I've seen the debate on premium vs. lower octane (not sure what to think on that one). What else? Air-box mods? Does anyone know what the most efficient speed to drive is? 55?

Looking forward to seeing what kind of wisdom you all can share!

·
Registered
104 Posts
That is the most evil gauge ever invented if you ask me. I find myself doing the same thing.
The slower you go the better your mpg is because your running rpm is lower and less wind resistance.
Make sure your tires are at full pressure.
Other then that, its all about how you use your right foot.

Nice to see another MN person on here!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Does anyone know what the most efficient speed to drive is?
Assuming you have the 6-speed automatic, it can shift into 6th gear at 35mph. My guess is that's the most fuel-efficient speed; you can get it past 50mpg if you avoid stop signs / red lights. Though, I don't suggest doing 35mph on the highway.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Use ethanol free fuel. The 10% ethanol in the fuel is 10% wasted space in the gas tank.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Use ethanol free fuel. The 10% ethanol in the fuel is 10% wasted space in the gas tank.
Easier said then done when you live in MN. Pretty much every gas stations has an E85 pump and its hard to find anything but blended.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Easier said then done when you live in MN. Pretty much every gas stations has an E85 pump and its hard to find anything but blended.
I know it's hard and far out of the way for some. I'm lucky enough to have the option 2 blocks from my house. It is slightly more expensive too.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
no ethanol free gas in Milwaukee? [bigcry]
Nope. We can follow each other to East Troy? Maybe I'll just open my own ethanol-free gas station in Milwaukee.

·
Registered
712 Posts
There are about 15 ethanol-free stations in the whole state of OH and none near me so that doesn't seem practical for most.

Most of the expert opinions I have read indicate Full Synthetic Oil will reduce friction. That's what I'll be running after I go through the Syn Blend(1st change was free at my Ford Dealer).

Also also am allowing the MPG meter to turn me into an MPG zombie. Biggest difference I now find in my driving is looking way ahead on to traffic lights and other traffic. If gassing it is not ultimately going to get me there faster, I just coast and bump the MPG. It's a bummer that there is such a significant MPG difference between 60 a 75 MPH hwy cruise (42 MPG down to about 37). I also find asphalt lends better MPG than concrete.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I commute 80 miles per day and 60 of those 80 miles are speeds at 70-75MPH open highway "not heavy traffic" when I'm driving. I am getting 32MPG and that is with some hypermiling down hills that are not part of the highway. Not was I was hoping for, my 2004 Supercharged Mustang that pull 11 second quarter miles here in Colorado still nets me 23MPG.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Keep your speed under 70mph and you will see better gas mileage. MPG's will improve after the motor breaks in too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts