Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, going on week 3 of the new focus and loving it. My third car in life and my favourite so far. Started my license with a 86 Oldsmobile cutlass sierra, years later a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier, now this beauty.
One thing i kinda laugh about, i love that the computer tells me my average fuel consumption, but i hate it too...ive become obsessed with it and get frustrated with every decimal i lose in the wrong direction.
My city sucks for constant stops and road work...rush hour isn't as bad as a larger city but is just as annoying because everything is so close yet so far.
I had to recently intervene myself from monitoring my consumption because sitting in traffic or a red light would cause me to get frustrated that traffic or drivers were so bad, looking at my consumption suck just made it worse. so now i am just monitoring my km to empty and feel much better....ahhh zen, now i can actually enjoys the drive.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I dunno bout the value of those trophies. I can get them all the time. One easy way is to take ur foot off the accelerator. And coast down hill. When i do that i almost always get a trophy. Really dont see the value in something so easy to master

·
Registered
63 Posts
Boy - - I sure can relate to this post. I've been getting impressive MPGs - - so far averaging 36.4 MPG for the 1st 3,000 miles - - BUT I also get frustrated when I loose even 0.1 MPG on the avg MPG screen! And yes, I've gotten many trophies so far.

I traded in a 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid for my Focus and am used to ruuning on electric around town - - and having the engine shut down at traffic lights - - so that's the most frustrating part of being stuck at a light - - watching the MPGs go down as the engine idles.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I dunno bout the value of those trophies. I can get them all the time. One easy way is to take ur foot off the accelerator. And coast down hill. When i do that i almost always get a trophy. Really dont see the value in something so easy to master
that would boost your anticipation and speed scores, not sure how it would affect you shifting score though.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
472 Posts
ya'll do know that those MPG readings are not all that accurate don't you ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Some people seem to find them tio be within 1/10 mpg of calculated mpg.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Some people seem to find them tio be within 1/10 mpg of calculated mpg.
it is entirely posslible but not very often. these kinds of things have been around for years and they have yet to make one that is spot on accurate. even the calculated mileage using pen and paper is not really that accurate since there are a lot of things that can affect your readings.

bottom line is that they should be used as a reference point not depended on to give you accuracy. I am happy as long as they get within 10% of what I am expecting.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I traded in a 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid for my Focus and am used to ruuning on electric around town - - and having the engine shut down at traffic lights - - so that's the most frustrating part of being stuck at a light - - watching the MPGs go down as the engine idles.
You can turn the motor off at long stop lights. [:)]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
it is entirely posslible but not very often. these kinds of things have been around for years and they have yet to make one that is spot on accurate. even the calculated mileage using pen and paper is not really that accurate since there are a lot of things that can affect your readings.

bottom line is that they should be used as a reference point not depended on to give you accuracy. I am happy as long as they get within 10% of what I am expecting.
The fact that they have been around for a long time means that as car technology gets better, mpg calculations get more accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if the Focus has a damn good calculator.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have had (4) vehicles with mileage calculators and they have all been within a tenth or two of being the same as filling the tank and calculating, the oldest of them was an 85. The new Focus is no different.

Keeping track of the duty cycle of the fuel injectors is an accurate way of measuring fuel consumption as long as you aren't changing out injectors fir ones with a different flow rate.

The odometer likely has more error but that same error will be in the calculator as well as a hand calculation.

I would guess that folks that are seeing a large variation are not getting the tank filled to the same point each time they fill up.

·
Registered
882 Posts
that would boost your anticipation and speed scores, not sure how it would affect you shifting score though.

Posted via FF Mobile
The automatic models don't have a shifting score.

And the MPG counters are pretty far off on these cars. Get gas, reset the meter, and drive for awhile. Sometimes it'll say you're getting 20mpg, sometimes 40mpg...it's a problem with how the fuel gauge registers amount of fuel.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The automatic models don't have a shifting score.

And the MPG counters are pretty far off on these cars. Get gas, reset the meter, and drive for awhile. Sometimes it'll say you're getting 20mpg, sometimes 40mpg...it's a problem with how the fuel gauge registers amount of fuel.
Not my experience at all. Its always accurate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My mpg read out is always ( at least ) 1 mpg higher then what I calculate manually. It's been up to 3 mpgs off. It's an ok reference but I wouldn't go by it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts