Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently leased a brand-new 2016 Focus SE Hatchback with a 2L engine and a PowerShift auto transmission. After about a month of mostly city driving in light-to-moderate traffic using regular gas, the fuel consumption gauge has settled on 9.1 liters / 100 km, or 25.85 mpg.

My previous car was a 2013 Focus SE Sedan with the same engine and transmission, but its fuel consumption was 8.5 liters / 100 km, or 27.67 mpg (it held steady year-round with no seasonal changes).

The difference isn't huge of course but it's noticeable, so I'm just curious as to why a newer model would deliver less bang for a buck. Could it be due to the newness of the car, and once the engine is broken in the numbers will improve? Could it have something to do with the tuning of the tranny's computer? This car definitely feels a little more sluggish, with heavier acceleration and more audible "vroom" when I press down the pedal (I never bothered to watch the tachometer on the old car, so I can't really compare the revs).

Thanks.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I recently leased a brand-new 2016 Focus SE Hatchback with a 2L engine and a PowerShift auto transmission. After about a month of mostly city driving in light-to-moderate traffic using regular gas, the fuel consumption gauge has settled on 9.1 liters / 100 km, or 25.85 mpg.

My previous car was a 2013 Focus SE Sedan with the same engine and transmission, but its fuel consumption was 8.5 liters / 100 km, or 27.67 mpg (it held steady year-round with no seasonal changes).

The difference isn't huge of course but it's noticeable, so I'm just curious as to why a newer model would deliver less bang for a buck. Could it be due to the newness of the car, and once the engine is broken in the numbers will improve? Could it have something to do with the tuning of the tranny's computer? This car definitely feels a little more sluggish, with heavier acceleration and more audible "vroom" when I press down the pedal (I never bothered to watch the tachometer on the old car, so I can't really compare the revs).

Thanks.
yeah. and plus a 2 mpg difference is minor imo. city driving can vary mpg's quite easily

·
Registered
54 Posts
Could be a few things. motor isn't broke in yet, contaminated gas, different tires,under inflated tires, lower flowing air filter, different oil, ecu hasn't learned long term fuel trim. Give it a few months and try to remove as many of the variables.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts