Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death time and time again, so I do apologize for bringing it up.

I've decided that I want to put an aftermarket exhaust on my 2014 Focus SE Hatchback and I've narrowed it down to either the FSWERKS Stealth exhaust or the FSWERKS Race exhaust, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two.

I have had a 2000 Accord Coupe 2.3L in the past with an aftermarket Magnaflow muffler and resonator put on and I thought it sounded fantastic. It was deep, very smooth, didn't sound like a fart can, and was only mildly loud. After driving around with the exhaust for a couple of years, I wanted to get something louder, but I got rid of the car before I could.

Now that I have narrowed my choice down to the Stealth or the Race, I'm asking for your opinion: What would you decide?

My concerns with the FSWERKS Stealth exhaust are that it would be too quiet. It seems nice and smooth, but from what I've read, it only gets "loud" when you put the throttle down. I'm not the most aggressive driver (gas is expensive in Cali!) so I'm curious, for those who have this exhaust, how loud would you say it is? How aggressive is the drone within the cabin? Do you wish the exhaust was any louder?

In terms of the FSWERKS Race exhaust, I don't want the car to be too loud that it attracts negative attention, either from the neighbors or the police, especially with the recent exhaust scare that took place in California. If I were to get pulled over for the exhaust, I'd almost certainly get a ticket for illegal window tint as well. 馃槗 I've also read that the drone in the cabin can be horrible, and I take my car on road trips of up to 10 hours cruising at highway speeds. If the drone is that bad, I'm not sure I'd have this system installed.

So, fellow Focus drivers, do you own an FSWERKS exhaust? Is the Stealth too quiet? Is the Race too loud? Do you have any regrets with either one? Am I being childish and should leave the exhaust stock? Is there a different exhaust that I should be considering?

Thanks a ton for your input!

Registered
I have the stealth. It has a great tone and pretty much no drone. I wasn't really happy with the volume personally, you can hear it but just a little less than I wanted. I ended up going catless and now it's just a little louder than I care but still happy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I have the stealth. It has a great tone and pretty much no drone. I wasn't really happy with the volume personally, you can hear it but just a little less than I wanted. I ended up going catless and now it's just a little louder than I care but still happy.

See, I reckon the Stealth is somewhat similar to the exhaust that I had on the Honda in that it sounds great, it's just a little quieter than what I would want. Although, upgrading to anything that isn't stock is a welcomed addition, I'm sure, and it'll probably be the best thing ever for a while, until I want it louder in a year or two. ;) Thanks for the response, my friend.

Registered
See, I reckon the Stealth is somewhat similar to the exhaust that I had on the Honda in that it sounds great, it's just a little quieter than what I would want. Although, upgrading to anything that isn't stock is a welcomed addition, I'm sure, and it'll probably be the best thing ever for a while, until I want it louder in a year or two. ;) Thanks for the response, my friend.
Also it did have some break in, it gradually got a little louder for a while.

Registered
I have had a race exhaust on my car for 9 years it is loud, and it definitely has exhaust drone.
My Brother also has a race exhaust and he moved to Maine I live in North Carolina. He had to put a silencer in the exhaust system they would not pass the inspection on it, and he got pulled over.
The race exhaust sounds fantastic but it sure can be annoying sometimes.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I have had a race exhaust on my car for 9 years it is loud, and it definitely has exhaust drone.
My Brother also has a race exhaust and he moved to Maine I live in North Carolina. He had to put a silencer in the exhaust system they would not pass the inspection on it, and he got pulled over.
The race exhaust sounds fantastic but it sure can be annoying sometimes.

Yeah, I've read that the droning was so bad in some cases that people would add in a resonator or swap the muffler to make it quieter. I do like the loud, but I leave for work before the sun comes up; I don't want to be that neighbor that wakes everyone up. My hopes is that with the Stealth, I'd be happy with it either way seeing as it isn't stock.

Sorry to hear about your brother and his car!

Also it did have some break in, it gradually got a little louder for a while.

I'm glad that it gets a little louder once it breaks in, definitely. Besides, I suppose there is more that I could do to make the car louder if I find that the Stealth system isn't all that I want it to be. But as I said, from stock to anything else will probably put a smile on my face.

Registered
Yeah, I've read that the droning was so bad in some cases that people would add in a resonator or swap the muffler to make it quieter. I do like the loud, but I leave for work before the sun comes up; I don't want to be that neighbor that wakes everyone up. My hopes is that with the Stealth, I'd be happy with it either way seeing as it isn't stock.

Sorry to hear about your brother and his car!

I'm glad that it gets a little louder once it breaks in, definitely. Besides, I suppose there is more that I could do to make the car louder if I find that the Stealth system isn't all that I want it to be. But as I said, from stock to anything else will probably put a smile on my face.
I leave for work at 6:30 I'm not worried about my neighbor's a school bus is far more annoying.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I leave for work at 6:30 I'm not worried about my neighbor's a school bus is far more annoying.

I suppose that's good then. I just fear that the Race is too loud, I get pulled over, have to spend more money to quiet it down, etc. Plus, droning on roadtrips is less than ideal.

Registered
(TL : DR - videos at the end)

I have the FS race on my 18 S. Before adding in new headers, it sounded great. Sounds like an aftermarket exhaust but not too loud to get complaints. The weekend before dropping in the headers, my brother complimented me on the exhaust, saying it sounded nice but not obnoxiously loud.

I leave for work at about 6:15am and my neighbors have never said anything. My next door neighbor has complained to me about me starting up my 5.0 mustang at 6am, though. In Texas we don't have emissions testing, and the state inspection shop I take my Focus to is very hands off when it comes to passing vehicles.

Here is a video from the interior during a drive:

Here is a video from the exterior (please note that I have the OBX headers installed when this was filmed):

Registered
I made a video of airbox upgrade for the Fiesta ST but it has 2 fswerks exhaust clips in it towards the end.
Ignore the exhaust smoke it was cold out.
The Fiesta ST has fswerks catback exhaust. The 2010 Ford Focus has the fswerks race exhaust.

Registered
That 2018 definitely doesn't sound as loud as my 2010. Maybe they use a different muffler in the exhaust systems for the 3rd generation Focus. Of course it's hard to tell over the internet.

Registered
That 2018 definitely doesn't sound as loud as my 2010. Maybe they use a different muffler in the exhaust systems for the 3rd generation Focus. Of course it's hard to tell over the internet.

Yeah, I kept hearing about how loud the race exhaust was and to get the stealth. When they were on sale this past black friday I said the hell with it and got the race. It wasn't as loud as I thought it would be. My 6 month old son fell asleep on the ride home from the muffler shop no problem. Even now with the header swapped out I wouldn't say it's obnoxiously loud. Either that or I'm used to it lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
(TL : DR - videos at the end)

I have the FS race on my 18 S. Before adding in new headers, it sounded great. Sounds like an aftermarket exhaust but not too loud to get complaints. The weekend before dropping in the headers, my brother complimented me on the exhaust, saying it sounded nice but not obnoxiously loud.

I leave for work at about 6:15am and my neighbors have never said anything. My next door neighbor has complained to me about me starting up my 5.0 mustang at 6am, though. In Texas we don't have emissions testing, and the state inspection shop I take my Focus to is very hands off when it comes to passing vehicles.

Here is a video from the interior during a drive:

Here is a video from the exterior (please note that I have the OBX headers installed when this was filmed):

Thanks for posting your videos! Of course, it's hard to tell volume without hearing the exhaust in person, but it really doesn't seem obnoxiously loud like I was assuming. I was leaning towards the Stealth but the videos like this make the decision between the two more tough..! :p

If you ever plan on adding a header, get the stealth. Does FSWerks still sell the race/stealth sections separately? could always add/remove the resonator section if you go that route
I wasn't planning on getting any headers, no. This wasn't a car that I planned to keep for very long (though I just had the clutches replaced under warranty, and it renews that "new car" feeling), so I wasn't expecting to spend all that much on personalizing it. I guess it's just in my nature to want to make my car mine!

I did talk to FSWERKS and I forgot to ask if they sold that second muffler/resonator separately. I would imagine taking the second muffler/resonator out and replacing it with pipe would be cheaper than buying that second muffler/resonator and having it put in. This is a very good idea, so thank you for your input!

I made a video of airbox upgrade for the Fiesta ST but it has 2 fswerks exhaust clips in it towards the end.
Ignore the exhaust smoke it was cold out.
The Fiesta ST has fswerks catback exhaust. The 2010 Ford Focus has the fswerks race exhaust.

Thanks for the videos! The Fiesta ST is such an awesome little car. Your 2010 Focus sounds pretty good, too! Thanks for sharing!

Again, my problem. :confused: Without hearing it in person, it's tough to determine what I would like best. The Race sounds good, even on the older generation.

Yeah, I kept hearing about how loud the race exhaust was and to get the stealth. When they were on sale this past black friday I said the hell with it and got the race. It wasn't as loud as I thought it would be. My 6 month old son fell asleep on the ride home from the muffler shop no problem. Even now with the header swapped out I wouldn't say it's obnoxiously loud. Either that or I'm used to it lol
Yet another post that makes me want to just toss the Race exhaust on there! I think I'd enjoy the volume of the Race exhaust. My buddy used to have a straight-piped Accord and, while it was pretty damn loud, I didn't think it would be unbearable to live with.

I still think the Stealth would be the "safer" option... Less likely to be pulled over, which means I'd be less likely to have to peel my tint off and replace the exhaust after spending that money. As stated above, if it isn't loud enough, I'll just cut one of the mufflers/resonator off. If I'm not mistaken, I think that's the primary/only difference between the Stealth and the Race...

Thank you for your input!

Registered
I bought the stealth about 2 years ago on Black Friday. You can buy the race and add the 2nd resonator any time if you change your mind.

Did notice much more power and was quite a bit louder than stock, but the low frequency noise inside the cabin during long trips from OC to Vegas gets to me on some parts of the trip. I thought I was low key in the neighborhood, but was recently told they can hear me coming and going, but no where near as loud as the neighbor with the new Maserati with a full race cat back and thanked me.

I kept the stock exhaust manifold but had it coated at Jet Hot this week, should get it back soon.

Final thoughts after 2 years:
Ended up changing the pipe clamps and the material used to seal the joints recently. Added the FSWerks flex header; wished I bought it 2 years ago when I bought the system. For me since I installed it at about 95K miles, the extra power allowed me to drive the car much harder and exposed some flaws in my engine such as thermal issues, just didn't see it coming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts