Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased the FSWerks rear stress bar for their focus and if so have you noticed any difference in handling or is it worth it to buy and install in the focus?

·
Registered
533 Posts
By rear stress bar do you mean the rear shock tower brace? If so I have one and yes I did notice a difference. It helped to reduce understeer. The car acts much more intuitive, or natural if that makes sense.

Edit: I guess they call it a stress bar. Updated my sig too. LOL.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By rear stress bar do you mean the rear shock tower brace? If so I have one and yes I did notice a difference. It helped to reduce understeer. The car acts much more intuitive, or natural if that makes sense.

Edit: I guess they call it a stress bar. Updated my sig too. LOL.
Okay sounds good to know might have to consider one. I got the steeda rear sway bar going to install that sometime jus wasn’t sure if the rear stress bar in the trunk will provide additional help or just make it do too much oversteer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
With these types of products, I've found that placebo effect is strong. People will feel an effect, even if there is none there. When it comes to performance accessories, I like objective data.

Strut bars are popular with a bunch of Supra owners, but since the Supra has double wishbone suspension, it can be easily demonstrated that these have absolutely zero effect on chassis stiffness. Taking a quick look at the product website, and looking through documentation of the Focus' suspension, I'd suspect that placebo effect accounts for a lot of the improvement that this offers.

Of course, I can't say for sure, since I don't have one, and I'm not particularly interested in buying one.

My reasons for finding this suspect are as follows: The suspension in the Focus is NOT McPherson strut, but has upper and lower control arms attached subframe to knuckle. Suspension is not directly attached to the chassis, so the only cornering stresses that transmit from the subframe to the chassis go through the subframe mount, which is nowhere near where the stress bar mounts. Lateral stresses are not transmitted at all through the shock absorber or spring upper mounts on the unibody frame, so a brace on the unibody is unlikely to have much if any impact on suspension geometry.

There are some relatively easy ways to test for chassis flex. Take a couple of pieces of wood, like yardsticks. Drill a hole in one of them so you can fix a sharpie or pen into it. Attach them to the frame where the brace bar will attach. Overlap the ends and use a couple of zipties to hold the ends together. Tape paper to the end of the one without the hole, and fix the pen in the other so that it touches the paper. The idea here is that any flex in the chassis across where you've attached the wood will cause the pen to move on the paper, and leave a mark. Now go jack up three wheels of the car. This should put as much or more twisting force on the suspension than anything that the tires can actually take. now look at your paper. The length of the line that the pen made is the amount of twist that any brace could possibly prevent.

Given the position of the bar in the picture on their website, plus what I can deduce from the suspension setup in the Focus, I would see this as being something much more for show than for actual go. Of course, if you can prove me wrong by demonstrating that the Focus unibody does flex with the suspension, then that will definitely prove to me that this particular Unibody is poorly engineered.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Strut bars are popular with a bunch of Supra owners, but since the Supra has double wishbone suspension, it can be easily demonstrated that these have absolutely zero effect on chassis stiffness. Taking a quick look at the product website, and looking through documentation of the Focus' suspension, I'd suspect that placebo effect accounts for a lot of the improvement that this offers.
Same way with the Evo X crowd and the strut tower bars and chassis "stiffening" subframe connectors short of a proper welded-in roll cage. The front OEM strut bar evo x is stiffer than almost all aftermarket ones and any rear strut bar is purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I installed the front stress/strut bar on my mk2 and it did make a small difference. Im assuming the rear would too, especially on a hatch

·
Registered
533 Posts
I gained over 5 mph (probably more like 10) on a 270* banked turned from Northbound I-5 to Westbound Florin Road in Sacramento after installation (my personal testing spot).
Google earth the interchange, this is the same turn I snapped my Steeda rear swaybar on. I have the Steeda BTW not the FSWerks. That was why I was confused earlier, Steeda calls it a shock tower brace.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-focus-rear-shock-tower-brace-12-15-st-hatchback-555-5753

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I've been running a front & rear 4-point lower stress braces which makes a difference....As well as a Eibach front bar & a Steeda race bar....as well as CFM's tubular A-arms & other mods....You all can see my mods in my profile album...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've been running a front & rear 4-point lower stress braces which makes a difference....As well as a Eibach front bar & a Steeda race bar....as well as CFM's tubular A-arms & other mods....You all can see my mods in my profile album...
Nice pics in the album. I like the old ford truck. A buddy of mine in High School had one with a 6 cyl and 3 on the Tree. That thing would grab seconds and thirds![thumb]

·
Registered
2 Posts
FSwerks Rear Stress Bar Question?

I own a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium(Sedan) was curious if there's a rear stress bar for the sedan or would this one work. i've looked into it and I can't seem to find a reason why the FSwerks Rear Stress Bar wouldn't work with the sedan. Any thoughts?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I own a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium(Sedan) was curious if there's a rear stress bar for the sedan or would this one work. i've looked into it and I can't seem to find a reason why the FSwerks Rear Stress Bar wouldn't work with the sedan. Any thoughts?
Yea you could possibly get it to fit, But why? If I knew it was worth it & added more stiffness, I'd have one.......Try a lower front or rear stress brace or both...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
By snapped, do you mean broke in two pieces?

I broke my Steeda rear swaybar, too. Very disappointing

Sent from my Pixel 3 using FF Mobile
No issues w/ the 26.8mm ''race bar'' thou.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts