Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the winter months here, im lookin to make an upgrade that is easy, adds some roar and a little bit of power. That being said, I have been lookin at the FSWerks Race Header. With this header, am I gonna throw any lights? if so, is there a way around that?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moved to Zetec performance at a guess (most '03 ZX3 used that engine).

Post the type if you happen to have one of the duratec 2.3's most common in CA emissions states that year.

Removing the CAT definitely sets a code, there are multiple ways to deal with that depending on the inspection type you need to pass.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
The FSWerks header deletes both the CAT and the EGR. it is very easy and "bolt on" with regards to fitment. Assuming the bolts come off the old rusted and very heat cycled system easily. PB Blaster will be your friend.

A tune will be needed to remove the codes. Note that street use of anything that removed factory equipped emission control devices regardless of tuning removing any check engine lights is still technically against the law. However that does not mean that people don't do it.

Also as noted the SVT header will be a better all around header (assuming you have a 2.0L Zetec). the FSWerks header give you more top and much higher RPMs and sacrificing lower end power and TQ. So depending on your end goals may be a better option. The SVT head is best for street use and most applications unless your going all out track race use. but the SVT is less plug and play and requires a bit more work and shopping around in the forsale section.

·
Grey Friar
854 Posts
^Well explained.

OP... Just to add, you will have to upgrade a lot of things to make use of either header mentioned, but you must do more to properly use the FSW header than you must do to properly use an SVT header. By that I mean, if you're not making power over 7000 rpm, there is no reason to install a race header like FSW... and while there is no good reason to install an SVT header either, at least it won't hurt your driving experience as much.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The FSWerks header deletes both the CAT and the EGR. it is very easy and "bolt on" with regards to fitment. Assuming the bolts come off the old rusted and very heat cycled system easily. PB Blaster will be your friend.

A tune will be needed to remove the codes. Note that street use of anything that removed factory equipped emission control devices regardless of tuning removing any check engine lights is still technically against the law. However that does not mean that people don't do it.

Also as noted the SVT header will be a better all around header (assuming you have a 2.0L Zetec). the FSWerks header give you more top and much higher RPMs and sacrificing lower end power and TQ. So depending on your end goals may be a better option. The SVT head is best for street use and most applications unless your going all out track race use. but the SVT is less plug and play and requires a bit more work and shopping around in the forsale section.
I'm thinking about putting a header on my 02 zx5. 2.0 zetec. As mentioned I am aware now of it deleting my cat. Is there headers out there so I can keep everything? Cat and all? If not how hard is it to "get a tune"? Or how much I should ask? I have the fswerks exhaust and an intake now. Will a header do me any good? I'm really at a loss here. Trying to figure out what to do about the header situation..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I'm thinking about putting a header on my 02 zx5. 2.0 zetec. As mentioned I am aware now of it deleting my cat. Is there headers out there so I can keep everything? Cat and all? If not how hard is it to "get a tune"? Or how much I should ask? I have the fswerks exhaust and an intake now. Will a header do me any good? I'm really at a loss here. Trying to figure out what to do about the header situation..

Sent from my XT1585 using FF Mobile
Like mentioned above, the Fwerks header & flex is bolt on w/o the converter, using the svt header you'll need to use either the svt converter or a orp. There was, IDK if they still make them= a shorty header that bolts on to your converter, but it doesn't really make more then what you already have. Using either the svt/fwerks header, I'd install a pr of mild cams also & w/ that I'd also have a tune added.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
"Shorty headers" are worthless as Ford already did a fairly good hon with the stock exhaust manifold and made it into a tubeish style.

SVT Headers did at one point come with a EGR bung if you bought the header from Ford. They knew enough people we wanting to convert the ZX3 and others to the SVT performance. While not was still not a single replacement it made it easier. So sometimes those with the bung can be found in the for sale section.

But a EGR would be needed. Next time you at the junk yard grab some O2 connectors off the harness to make your extenders.

You will need the SVT header, CAT, and flex. Also will need gaskets for the 4 different flanges.

Need a dips tick tube and dip stick from an SVT also.

Power steering also needs to be addressed. You can bend the stock one but runs close to the header still. It's recomended to replace. If you replace with an SVT line you will need to plug the in line sensor port.

SVT Power steering line - $75 ish
SVT Header, CAT, and Flex- $200 ish used
Gaskets - $35 ish
Custom weld in EGR Bung - $40 ( for bung and weld)
Tune - $300-400 (or $150 if you have an XCal already)
This is assuming your doing the work and have all the tools needed for nit also. Will need more fluid for power steering once you replaced the line...

It is not a cheap mod but besides going for a Turbo it is the best $/HP that can be spent on the Zetec.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did the SVT header + cat + flexpipe for my Zetec. Had my local exhaust shop weld in a tube on the header to attach for the EGR system (gotta keep the car CA emissions legal). Woke the engine up from 3-5k without a tune.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, the SVT header (and I'm assuming the race header) sits lower in the car than the stock exhaust. Be careful going through dips in the road because it can scrape. I developed the high tech hose clamp protection system :). If I forget to slow down enough, the hose clamp takes the hit instead of my header.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks. How much did this cost you? I know it will vary on the cost for the svt swap (pending where I but it) but it would give me a ball park figure anyway. I have an intake and exhaust now and I really wanted to do a header but I'm in the same boat. Have to keep it legal where I live. So I can't delete the cat with race headers. Now granted, I don't have to pass an emissions test. Just safety. (My county is a non emissions county) but all the parts have to be there haha.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it was around 600 to 700 total. That includes SVT header, cat, flexpipe, dipstick, and paying an exhaust shop to weld in the EGR pipe and mate the flexpipe to my existing catback. That was back in 2010, not sure what availability / prices are like now. It's probably worth doing it if you're going for an all-out NA or supercharged build, or if you can get the parts cheap :) Cam gears and a tune might help maximize the benefit. But of course those two things would help without a header too...

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
That is a very unique way to connect an EGR up to a SVT header.

For reference of those who may look you don't need it at the common collector. The SVT header that Ford Racing sold for retrofit of the ZX3 Zetec had the port on the side of the single runner from Cylinder 4. The EGR is a emissions control device that works to increase the intake temperature under certain throttle positions. It does not mater if the exhausts gases are coming from a single runner/cylinder or elsewhere from the exhaust stream. Welding in a bung with the correct threads is all that is needed.

I applaud your exhaust shop for going this crazy though....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts