Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide between the Steeda Intake vs. the FSWerks Cool-Flo Intake, I'm leaning further towards the FSWerks, its seems to be more of a true CAI, whereas the Steeda seems to be a Short-Ram.
I have an '06 2.0...anyone else have either of these and can vouch for performance and aesthetic values?
Any other gains as far as mpg??

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
^This topic has been covered too many times. Check the stickied threads in the top of the Duratec performance chat for all the answers you need.

Check the dyno thread for HP and TQ gains for each one.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Trying to decide between the Steeda Intake vs. the FSWerks Cool-Flo Intake, I'm leaning further towards the FSWerks, its seems to be more of a true CAI, whereas the Steeda seems to be a Short-Ram.
I have an '06 2.0...anyone else have either of these and can vouch for performance and aesthetic values?
Any other gains as far as mpg??
Yeah, there is gain's. You try breathing thru that stock filter. Steeda if you want a S.R.I. or Focussport if you want a C.A.I. it's up to you! No water or rain than go w/ Focussport's, if like me live's in rainy Seattle than go w/ Steeda's & not have a issue w/ water. Add a tune too, that'll help too.[lockdance]Oh by the way welcome to F.F.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't worry about water unless you're driving through rivers with your Focus. Just grab their Outerwears Pre-Filter with it and you're good to go.

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Just installed the Steeda today (I bought it cuz I live in WA and have seen hydrolocked cars, I'm forever scarred) and the Steeda is awesome! It feels more gutsy now and sounds a loooot cooler. Besides, if rain is a factor where you live, a short ram may be better. If you check the dynos on both the different intakes you're looking at, theyre pretty close. You may get an extra one or two horse out of the FSwerks one, but I just dont want the risk.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I have the cool-flow but the corner looks empty, with the steeda it seems to fill that corner and looks more stock.

Ide rather have the cool-flo i feel its a better design and im getting more for the money.

Ive seen people build a steeda that looks darn near the same exact thing using the stof maf housing, a better filter and a metal housing.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone have a picture of a Cool-Flo installed on there 05-07 foci?

EDIT: Thanks Felix, I've been a part of different Forums in the past(MIVE, A2SC, SixthSphere, etc) but this seems to be one of the more knowledgeable and helpful forums out there. I'm happy to be a part of it.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found some pics on google and videos on youtube...FSWerks it is.
when installing this should i also tune it, or should tuning wait for when the exhaust comes along?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
when installing this should i also tune it, or should tuning wait for when the exhaust comes along?
if you have the funds, a tune now would be ideal but you will be completely fine with out one. Just know that as you add more components you will get the most out of them with updated tunes

·
Registered
296 Posts
Although it is not required, a tune will maximize the performance of the intake. Tom (1turbofocus) can write you up a good tune and his updates are free.

When you start the install, be sure to disconnect your battery for safety reasons and also to let the computer reset itself so that it will relearn with the new intake.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Although it is not required, a tune will maximize the performance of the intake. Tom (1turbofocus) can write you up a good tune and his updates are free.

When you start the install, be sure to disconnect your battery for safety reasons and also to let the computer reset itself so that it will relearn with the new intake.
Is that for the Xcal 3?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
does anyone have a picture of a Cool-Flo installed on there 05-07 foci?

EDIT: Thanks Felix, I've been a part of different Forums in the past(MIVE, A2SC, SixthSphere, etc) but this seems to be one of the more knowledgeable and helpful forums out there. I'm happy to be a part of it.
Im kinda proud of my engine bay because ive done a bit of work to it so any chance i get to show it off i try to.

First i got the cool-flow intake, then the engine cover and then the strut brace. All FSwerks

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im kinda proud of my engine bay because ive done a bit of work to it so any chance i get to show it off i try to.

First i got the cool-flow intake, then the engine cover and then the strut brace. All FSwerks
That looks awesome...i badly need to get mine all cleaned up.
Just picked it up on Monday and already i'm tired of the stock setup...i'm sick

EDIT: Did you paint your intake manifold??

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
That looks awesome...i badly need to get mine all cleaned up.
Just picked it up on Monday and already i'm tired of the stock setup...i'm sick

EDIT: Did you paint your intake manifold??
Thanks! yeah i did paint it. A friend of mine has a 3000 GT and he painted his intake and it really looks nice. His is metal though but i dont care i just wanted to dress it up and try and make it different.

When i did my PCV delete i painted it and then tried to touch it up with silver caliper paint and ruined it. So i bought another one and really went to town on it.

I used a dremel and cut off and sanded down all the extra messy stuff i wasnt using.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm impressed. That looks real clean, its a nice contrast to all of that black.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looking at the SCT X3 tuner from FSWerks there are a lot of options.
How would disabling the EGR system help/hurt my car?
Is it ok to up fuel pressure without modified injectors?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is that for the Xcal 3?
as far as disconnecting the battery that is for safety and if there is not going to be a tune loaded then it will be better to clear the computer and let it relearn the maf with the higher flow.

if there is going to be a tune loaded, then leave the battery connected when loading the tune.

No tune> disconnect battery
tune> dont disconnect battery

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Tune w/ help a lot=more driveably

For a bolt on's, like I have I did EGR delete & turn off the rear O2 senser for a header. I wouldn't mess w/ increased fuel pressure. Just call them up & talk to Randy about what your going to do, or want.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For a bolt on's, like I have I did EGR delete & turn off the rear O2 senser for a header. I wouldn't mess w/ increased fuel pressure. Just call them up & talk to Randy about what your going to do, or want.
After disabling the EGR did you notice any drop in fuel mileage?

Tappin-and-a-Talkin on my DroidX

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
You can do all that stuff with the FSWerks tuner?

The only things i can adjust with the one i got from Tom is, Idle speed, shift pressure, WOT shift, A/F richer only, and some timming stuff.

The only things i ever mess with is the idle speed and the shift pressure and the WOT shift points.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts