Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Istalled my cai the other day, it rained tonight and when I got back from a 10 minute drive in the light rain with no puddles, i put my hand down on my filter(with waterproof pre-filter) and the pre filter was wet to the touch, wet enough that it got my hand wet. Should i be concerned? This has really turned me off of driving in rain at all, let alone the Canadian winter I have coming up.

Thanks, Brandon

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Yeah it will get wet. Mine does as well but I haven't had any problems with ingestion of water. I did have a project in mind to create a sort of enclosure around the filter to shield it from water spray from cars on the road but never got around to it. It doesn't get driven in the winter now anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it will get wet. Mine does as well but I haven't had any problems with ingestion of water. I did have a project in mind to create a sort of enclosure around the filter to shield it from water spray from cars on the road but never got around to it. It doesn't get driven in the winter now anyway.
I was just thinking about trying something like you mentioned here, just for peace of mind ya know.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My understanding was that the pre-filter is supposed to be hydrophobic and prevent the filter from getting wet. Did you take the pre-filter off to make sure the filter wasn't wet or check the inside of the tube the intake is connected to for moisture?

If only the pre-filter is wet I don't think there's much cause for concern. If you're really worried about it maybe consider a Short Ram Intake? I'm paranoid so that's the route I'm going to take.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My understanding was that the pre-filter is supposed to be hydrophobic and prevent the filter from getting wet. Did you take the pre-filter off to make sure the filter wasn't wet or check the inside of the tube the intake is connected to for moisture?

If only the pre-filter is wet I don't think there's much cause for concern. If you're really worried about it maybe consider a Short Ram Intake? I'm paranoid so that's the route I'm going to take.
I did not remove the pre filter, thats what im planning on doing tomorrow. Im also paranoid like you, I just dont have a large cash flow to go with a short ram right away. Im most likely going to re-install the stock intake for winter though.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Factory OEM intakes are designed to keep liquid water from impinging on the filter media because water soaking into most filter media materials can restrict airflow. The "aftermarket" ones don't seem to get that (but they love getting your money), or you have to install and maintain a "prefilter". Hydaulicing is a remote but possible risk as well, as we've seen. Plus, you are gaining basically squat. I would reinstall your factory intake as fast as your little hands can do it. The factory intakes used on the '08 and later cars and the old SVT Foci intakes should be left installed on cars that are used as daily drivers. If the engine ain't getting the intake air from in front of the rad.......it's exceptionally lame. Let the flaming begin!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Factory OEM intakes are designed to keep liquid water from impinging on the filter media because water soaking into most filter media materials can restrict airflow. The "aftermarket" ones don't seem to get that (but they love getting your money), or you have to install and maintain a "prefilter". Hydaulicing is a remote but possible risk as well, as we've seen. Plus, you are gaining basically squat. I would reinstall your factory intake as fast as your little hands can do it. The factory intakes used on the '08 and later cars and the old SVT Foci intakes should be left installed on cars that are used as daily drivers. If the engine ain't getting the intake air from in front of the rad.......it's exceptionally lame. Let the flaming begin!
Thanks for the advice, but my intake is staying where it is for the time being. I can tell this seems to be bothering you and you were just waiting to blurt it all out at someone, congratulations, you Grumpy bastard ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
That's fine an well, but I have a 2006 which has the wonderful "Lifetime" air intake system. I imagine it works great when it's new, and it works fine now with 105,000 miles. It's hard for me to imagine that there's not a little bit of extra restriction from 5 years of use and the previous owner drove down a lot of dirt roads as has been made evident from me finding dirt everywhere, hell I've driven it down dirt roads and have got absolutely lost on what was most likely wasn't a road (the Focus actually makes a decent off-roader, just make sure you're careful with clearance). I like most factory intakes, they draw in cold air and are well designed, but I like being able to replace the filter when I want as well.

Given the replacement cost of the "lifetime" filtration system, I feel that I can justify the purchase of a Short Ram Intake + pre-filter. Given the filter's location, I'd have to submerge the vehicle in at least 18" of water or drive quickly enough through a large puddle to create a wake with that much water for the intake to actually suck in any water. In my mind it's a non-issue, but I could be entirely wrong.

In regards to the gains being squat; 4whp/4wtq is not a lot of power, but our cars only make maybe 120whp/120wtq (2008-2011 may be more), so it's a 3% increase.

Hydro-locking can occur with any time of air intake system (although it's incredibly unlikely with a snorkel like seen in Hummers and Jeeps). I called Steeda for information on their intake and the reason they don't put it lower like FSWerks and other CAI manufacturers is to prevent hydro-locking. It seems to me the risk is not much more than stock.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you are saying; the OEM/stock intake systems are the absolute safest ones to run and are plenty efficient and cost effective if the option stands to replace your own filter.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You're fine especially with the pre-filter. It's waterproof so your filter doesn't get wet.

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
wet to the touch and it sucking up water like a straw to hydrolock aren't the same. I've driven through some bad storms where i was worried but the car was fine. Same for Ohio winters, I've been fine with those as well.

There is always a risk though, just stay away from standing water/puddles and you should be fine. The prefilter sounds like its doing its job though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts