Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello FSVT World:

I am a newbie and current owner of 1995 Contour SE, 2.5L V6, MTX-75 (5-speed), and enjoy the handling characteristics of this model (matches Contour SVT w/o the horsepower).

My questions:

1. regarding the handling or other characteristics of the 5 Door versus the 3 Door model.

2. have there been many particular TSB's, recalls or that I should be aware?

3. I'd be interested in links to owners of each of these in silver.

4. Would be interested in running a VIN through someones CarFax if willing. (post privately)

Local Dealer has a 2002 FSVT 3 Door with 5 K miles for sale, and I am tempted.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
How much are they asking for the used svt? I bet you could just about buy a new 03 for what there going to be asking for it.There has been some problems with the svt with surging but you can have the cpu reflashed and will fix it also some people have had problems with flywheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Initial off the top of head was $15 K .

Plus trade in of my 'classic' Champagne Edition Contour SE, and I'll throw in the snow tires and steel wheels :)

New 2004 FSVT 3-Doors from $22.6 K plus current $1500 allowance and special interest rates.
(4) in stock (1) 5-Door for $23.3K All in Black

Other 2003's under a foot of snow

Now what about the questions above ;)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The 3 door is significantly faster than the 5 door, especially around the track. The ZX5 weighs about 100 pounds more. I can only imagine what a stripped out 3 door would be like.

·
Registered
56 Posts
there are no recalls that i am aware of.

the handling should be the same, i believe they have the same wheel base, the 5-door maybe a tad heavier, but that is just a guess.

as far as the TSB about the reflash, i have noticed that it mainly affects the 2002 models, i have a 2003 and i have no such problems with surging, etc.

hope this helps

·
Registered
374 Posts
AC_tsunami said:
Local Dealer has a 2002 FSVT 3 Door with 5 K miles for sale, and I am tempted. [/B]
I have a '02 3 door and after having the computer reflashed and the intake rudder clamps replaced it's been smooth sailing.[driving]

Here's mine in cd silver [8D] .

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Other than it having more doors, everything else is pretty much the same. Yes, the ZX5 is a little bit more heaver, but not enough to cause any real distinctions between the two.

There happens to be a TSB out on a Computer Reflash, TSB out on the intake runners, no TSB out for this but the Clutch, flywheel and Tranny are very prone to have problems in most SVTF, not all, but most.

·
Registered
148 Posts
just for looks... i prefer the 3 door... but the 5 door is more convenient!!!

as far as performance... it should be the same

·
Registered
39 Posts
dont get a 2k ZX3 ive only had mine for about a month and a half and im startin to lose hope! 2000 they had a lot of recalls and problems.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I have a black 3 door you can see it in my link I say it looks much much cleaner in 3 door

I liked blach the most but blue silver or white would have been nice

the yellow is abit to flamboyant for my liking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A comment from another list reminded me of a the differences in driving position from my current Contour.

Do you notice the more upright position?

I have yet to sit or drive a Focus, yet. so I have no experience of this.

While I like the lines of the 3-Door, I would like to have easy access for rear seat passengers.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
FokuzPhil said:
dont get a 2k ZX3 ive only had mine for about a month and a half and im startin to lose hope! 2000 they had a lot of recalls and problems.
I had a 2000 se and there were some problems but remeber that all new modles of cars are going to have some growing pains. That was the first year, takes a year or so to work the bugs out. That's why the first year I stay away.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
AC_tsunami said:
A comment from another list reminded me of a the differences in driving position from my current Contour.

Do you notice the more upright position?

I have yet to sit or drive a Focus, yet. so I have no experience of this.

While I like the lines of the 3-Door, I would like to have easy access for rear seat passengers.
I know the focus's in general all taller then most sporty compacts but it makes for alot of head room. When you get in the car you don't notice it. I just tilt the seat back and I'm good. I took it on a 1000 mile road trip and it was pretty comfortable, I wasn't hurting when I got out.

As for the 3 door vers 5 door, if you plan on driving more then 2 passengers alot then I would consider the 5 door. It's a pain in the ass to get in and out of the 3 door if your in the back. I dont' know about the differance in leg room between the 5 and 3, but the 3 is real small in the back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
got a 5 door:

for 5 door:

easier to get passengers in the back.
easier to get packages in the back.
easier to fold the seats flat with the 5 door.

for 3 door:

a couple hundred cheaper.
seem to be more around; easier to find one?
a little lighter.

you pick:

resale.
looks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts