Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting the FS Front and rear stress bars this week. Does anyone have them? Was the rear hard to install? And most important, did they help?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I read that the front bars don't really do to much(other than looks) unless your track racer. But it said you could tell a slight diff with the rear bar. I wish I could remember where I read it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that there is a lot of suspension upgrades that would help a lot more, just so few that can be done in an apt complex. Everywhere in SoCal is a windy road and I just have too much body roll. Maybe dropping the vehicle would help?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
too much body roll? first, yeah. drop the car a bit. secondly, ANTI-ROLL bars would help, not stress bars. stress bars will help if there's a lot of body flex, which, especially if you have your back seats removed... there is. an easy way to test for body flex is to enter a driveway at an angle. you'll hear the body flex, especially in the rear (guess that's why the rear one helps a bit more than the front, eh?)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Again, the post was whether the stress bars would help. And what they cost ($160/Front/Rear) compared to average suspension upgrade ($200+)

·
Registered
45 Posts
On another car they would help. With the Focus' design, no. The only effect the stress bars have are a placebo effect. The front MIGHT do very liitle to improve stability, but doubtful because the strut towers are already so close to the firewall. The rears would have no effect as the suspension design puts the stresses somewhere other than the shock towers. Get them for peace of mind if you want, but don't expect your car to turn into an instant corner-carver because of them.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
i have the rear stress bar.. wasnt hard to install at all... and i can tell a big difference. i bounce a bit more.. and a bit stiffer on turns..

i have some pics, if you would like to see.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
AT1 said:
On another car they would help. With the Focus' design, no. The only effect the stress bars have are a placebo effect. The front MIGHT do very liitle to improve stability, but doubtful because the strut towers are already so close to the firewall. The rears would have no effect as the suspension design puts the stresses somewhere other than the shock towers. Get them for peace of mind if you want, but don't expect your car to turn into an instant corner-carver because of them.
Can't comment on the front yet, but you're wrong about the rear. I installed the FS bar and I could definitely tell the difference. The FS bar is nice cheap upgrade. If you want to really improve the rear's rigidity, check out this bar: http://www.adamsracing.net/RaceBar.html . This was designed based on recommendations from a Ford Engineer (perhaps SVT, I can't remember) and ties in all the weak spots. It is pricey, yes, but garyk had one in his race car and according to him, it was great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts