Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's install was a FocusSport Lower Front Stress Bar on my 08' Sedan.

Cost: 89.95 + shipping

Tools Required:
19mm socket
11/16 open end wrench
jack and jack stands
torque wrench

Time: 1 hour

From FocusSport:
"This Stress Bar is a quick two-point bolt-on installation, which mounts to the front of the control arms. This bar is perfect for adding improved stability by reducing subframe flex. Made from 1 Inch heavy wall steel tubing, and and available in gloss black or chrome/clear powdercoated finish."

As usual the bar arrived well packaged and protected from shipping damage. But that's all you'll get, there are no instructions included.

So here's a quicky for installing this on an 08', and I'm sure it's very similar on most other years as well.

To begin;

Raise each side of the car high enough to remove the wheels

place jack stands (and follow all normal safety procedures)

remove both front wheels

Doing one side at a time:

remove Lower Arm forward nut/bolt (see #6 and #7 below) 19mm socket on bolt and 11/16 open end wrench to hold nut

place stress bar in place (correct position will have "FocusSport" logo in front)

re-install bolt and start nut onto it

Repeat on other side

Now torque each side to 159 lb-ft

Your done! Well, don't forget to put your wheels back on and remove the car from the jack stands.

And of course here are a couple pics of the bar installed.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't had a chance to drive it much yet. But I did do my normal course of round-a-bouts by my house. Felt great, ran nice and flat through some tight cornering. I couldn't get carried away though, streets are wet right now.

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts
Brad, you are not messing around with this 08!
Please let us know how the handling feels. I have stress bars front and rear, sway bars are next, and this might be last after those.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've got the front upper tower brace and rear stress bar. That rear stress bar was a blessing. The ride was a little harsh with the H&R coilovers and to my surprise that rear stress bar really smoothed things out. If you're thinking about coilovers, I'd recommend adding an extra $100 bucks and installing the rear stress bar at the same time.

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts
Yeah, I've got the front upper tower brace and rear stress bar. That rear stress bar was a blessing. The ride was a little harsh with the H&R coilovers and to my surprise that rear stress bar really smoothed things out. If you're thinking about coilovers, I'd recommend adding an extra $100 bucks and installing the rear stress bar at the same time.
I recently installed the H&R Sport Cup Kit (that's the kit with the lower drop). I also have the FocusSport rear stress bar and front stress bar. What i really need next is sway bars, but i saw this recently and I want it!

One question.. Is it made of the same material as the FocusSport rear bar

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
yea i believe its the same steel julio.

ive seen this piece up close...and let me say...damn FS did it again. this is an awesome product.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
i have this unit as well, and i gotta tell ya, it really shores you up in the turns. it also,for some reason, has stopped my wheel hop when i launch in a turn. dont know why, but i have tried it from the same place over and over, and its perfect every time now. must be a LOT of flex at those control arms!

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Between lowering the car and the three bars (rear, front upper and lower) I love taking corners way faster than I should. So nice, so tight, no roll, just fun. I'll really find out what it can do on Saturday when I go to my all day Auto-X class.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
ud better get those tires squealin! represent us old guys!!

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah, and don't forget to look at the sway bars. I recently installed the Eibach sway bar kit (from Mike at Hilbish Ford) and just today added the PowerGrid adjustable front sway bar end links to those.

Well, I have a street close by with plenty of round-a-bouts on it and this evening I had a BMW (don't know make) in front of me and he figured out I was ready to challenge him to a dual. Well, he kicked my ass on the straights (dammit when are they going to release the tunes for the 08') but every time we came to a round-a-bout I climbed back up on his bumper and pressed his license plate into his trunk. There was no way his car could handle those round-a-bouts as well as mine. That was assume !!

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
haha, the word is awesome brad, and yes...that was awesome. i find it funny ur racing cars thought lol. didnt we outgrow that in our 50s? lol.

and sorry buddy, even when they get the tunes out, the beamers are still gonna stomp us my man. did u get the tire squeal in the rotaries?

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hell no, I didn't even have to push it hard enough to squeal the tires to out run him in the round-a-bouts. And one of these days, I don't care what it takes, he won't be able to pull away from me on the straights either. [wrenchin]

Of course I didn't get racing out of my system in my 50's. Hell, I am 50 and can finally afford to play!! I love the fact that my little "focus" handles better then those prissy little overpriced "sport" cars. Just have to add a little HP and those pimple faced kids, in daddies car, are going to be embarrassed as hell trying to explain to their girlfriends what the hell just happened. [burnout]

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
haha, sounds good. i still dont think u could match a bmw tho, no matter what u do, cept maybe some spray.

oh, and happy Thanksgiving

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then spray it is dammit!! Happy T-day to you too!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts