Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my FS header/ flex pipe today. I have a FS intake w Iceman piping. FS Catback the quiet one.
My car's exhaust is too loud for me now.
Has anyone added another resonater to quiet things down?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
i added a magnaflow resonater to my borla when i put my FC header on. i think that it made the sound a lot nicer that it used to be w/o it.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If you already have the FS catback with the "stealth" option, you already have a secondary resonator. You would be adding a third resonator to the system, and I'm not sure where you'd put it.

How loud is it? I have an OBX 4-2-1 running into a Borla SVT, and while its loud, its not overly so. In fact, when I'm not hammering on the throttle its quite tame, and at idle its just ever-so-slightly louder than it was before the header. Give it some time, it might grow on you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
At Idle it's fine, just like you stated. Once I'm up to speed its fine as well. BUT, between 2 & 3 grand it sucks. Sounds like a civic with a cheapy exhaust. I also have a del sol sohc vtec with h/e it sounds good (not buzzy) much better than the focus now. I spent alot of cash on my H/E on the focus I'm not happy right now. I do have the stealth model exhaust. I was wondering where I would put another resonater. I might have to add a small cat in place of the flex pipe. This would kinda defeat the purpose of the header though.

I had my buddy drive my car will I stood outside. At WOT it's loud outside. He pulled out and floored it and ran through the gears. It's much louder than I want. I like a quiet exhaust that's why I purchased the stealth model.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Loud exhausts save lives [thumb]

Seriously, there is really no way to make the noise you hear go away entirely, it is harmonic resonation. Be thankful it is only from 2-3K. Race headers are good for this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine is loud, too... OBX 4-2-1, Random Tech High Flow Cat, 2.5" back (including flex pipe), Magnaflow muffler and a magnaflow resonator, and it's still loud. I've even had a guy on a Harley ride next to on the freeway and point at my car and then put his hands over his ears :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the same problem. I think the only thing that would quiet it down is going back to the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the removal of the cat is noise adder. I've installed a race header on a few cars and never experienced resonating like this. miata.del sol, spec v.
I've only heard a borla exhaust on a na miata and it was loud.
Has anyone installed a small cat on a similar exhaust? If so how did it affect the sound/ power?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
why you guys must not have a tolerence for noise at all. svt header,orp, borla exhaust w/o reonator. i got sick of it and installed a resonator and everything is fine

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
you should of went with a svt focus header...itll provide the same gains, plus you still have a cat and it wont be as loud. This is something to consider.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's the problem you're running into Power = Noise... there's no way to get around this one.... so the more resonators, or the quieter you make your exhaust, the more you decrease any power gains your making..... but I definatly agree with you that a tinny ricer sound is not what any car should have....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
really i don't understand that..our cars sould have the tinny ricer sound. what makes are engines any different from theres in basics. what it comes down to is trying to get the most power out of our small ass engines. if exhaust companies offered non canister exhaust for civics they would get them(sorry if they were cheaper)!!! the canister muffler is cheap thats what cause the exhaust note! if thats what you car sounds like than that is what it sounds like- a 4 banger trying to get as much power as it can. trust me their are many foci running around with just a canister

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah for the most part our cars do have that tinny sound, however I like it if the sound is a little deeper rather than sounding like a beefed up moped.... Ideally I would like my focus to sound like our 66 mustang but that will take a little more waiting to do the V8 conversion....

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a JBA shorty, RT cat, Bosal flex, and MBRP on mine. That tinny, buzzy lawnmower sound is present on mine as well. After a week of driving it, I'm finally used to it....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went for a ride today by myself. The power gains are nice very noticeable. Later I turn the a/c off and rolled down my windows. Yikes, I've become what I hate the most. My car sounds like a ricer with a fart can. I really hate this sound. I don't mind a deep sound, louder than stock. But this is not what I had planned on.
So will the stock svt header bolt straight on without any mods?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm now thinking about removing the FS catback and reinstalling the stock piping and see what that sounds like. Anyone have this setup or at least heard it?
The first thing I installed was the FS Exh. It was perfect, sounded so sweet at 3 and 4 grand. I then installed the FS intake. After the Intake I could no longer hear the exhaust. Now the exhaust is fighting back.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The SVT header isn't going to change the tone much or make it quieter, that's going to be effected by the muffler. I have a SVT Borla with an OBX 4-2-1, and it has a deep gurgly tone, not at all ricey. Your problem is being caused by the muffler FS used on their catback, not by the header.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm gonna have to experiment with a new muffler or resonator. I hate to hack up the FS Exh. though.
What about the stock SVT exhaust. I read they are 2.25. Will they direct bolt on a zx3 an do they flow any better? I would rather hack one of those and sell the FS.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts