Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched tons of threads, but just wondering if anybody has any tricks/special advice for installing a Focus Sport header and flex? Anything that will make removing the stock manifold/flex easier? Beyond a couple cans of PB Blaster, haha

I drive an 04 ZX3 with the D23 and MTX...Will probably be doing the install this weekend so any advice is appreciated.

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
remove everything you can while still in the car so you have the smallest piece to lift out. take off the heat shield and o2 sensors. make sure you have different length extensions for a ratchet as well as a ratcheting wrench to get to the head bolts.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
im having a local shop install mine and the fs flex pipe today. Here is my question, i dont ahve the extension for the o2 sensor, so rather than using the 02 sensor from the stock manifold that has the short wiring can i just use the 02 sensor that is further down the manifold at the bottom on the driversside? arent they all the same type of 02 sensor?

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
yeah you can just switch the locations for them to get the length you need. the high mount one is the important one with an aftermarket header so is nice to have it as close to the collector as possible to get the most accurate reading. the second one measures after the cat which you will no longer have (not a proper reading anymore) and would most likely be disabled if you get a custom tune for it.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
yeah its already disabled. and also the place thats installing it for me said the sensors cannot be interchanged as they are not the same

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
You can always just extend your O2 sensor wires. It's simple if you know how to use wire cutters/strippers and electrical tape/wire heat shrink tubes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
installed a obx header and downpipe last fall, when u remove the stock manifold and downpipe it makes it a whole lot easier if u leave them bolted together. remove out of the top of the engine bay (helps to have a buddy so u can work together). the same goes for the install, go ahead and connect the header and downpipe BEFORE you install. Don't be fooled by the phrase "bolt on," headers of any kind are a pain to put on! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well here is what i sugest take it as you may.

When i took all 3 of my 02 sensors out i looked at them and they were all 3 different. Putting them side by side (ask 1loudfocus) the actual sensor tips were different on all 3 of them. The center one on my car (blue) plugged into a (blue) plug. The bottom one on my car AFTER the cat is black and also plugged into a black plug.

The top one (most important) was gray and so was the plug. Now by mistake we plugged the black one (bottom) into the header thinking it was the top it ran VERY RICH and threw a CEL code. I switched em around and nothing changed till i cleared the ECU. I had to go back over old photos i took of my sensors till i noticed the mistake.

When i removed mine my center one IN the cat was stripped. I guess it wasnt installed right or rusted or something?

If i were you ide call around and make sure you can get all 3 sensors just incase you have any problems there is a replacement.

I added a second bung on my header for a wideband for datalogging. Incase i had any issues i had a plug on hand to put into the new bung just incase.

Not sure how true it is but i read its not good on the 02 sensor to run it in the exhaust wihtout it being hooked up and heated. So if you have any issues ide use a plug over the 02 sensor. The cheapest one in my area is $50. and its a "univesal" one you have to splice to get it to work (iffy IMO if that will go smooth) so if i were you ide becareful of these sensors.

One other thing i read is cutting the sensor lead. I tried this once and i did not have any luck with it. The wires on the 02 sensor i messed with were made of some kind of super heated coating i had a hard time stripping them and i couldnt solder on them either. I have a nice tenma soldering station and the solder didnt want to stick. I guess you could use some kind of crimp plug but will the connector hold up to the heat? i didnt want to find out myself.

What if you decide to go back to stock? Now you have these cut and spliced wires that could get wet and cause issues.

I just changed mine a few weeks ago this is what i found with mine.

We pulled it up on ramps then used a milk crate to get to the top bolts.

Lucky we let it cool a bit because we didnt turn off the fuel plump safty thing and the fuel was still under pressure and blew gas out when we unhooked the fuel line. I think i read to turn the fuel pmup safty switch inside the car and let it run till it dies before you unhook the fuel rail.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
ok its all installed! now here was my problem. the exhaust was hella loud and crazy ricer sounding. it consisted of a flowmaster muffler. i went straight to a muffler shop and had a 18inch resonator installed. still sounds a little ricer. any ideas on how to fix this? like a muffler suggestion? and noone say fswerks exhaust im just looking to replace the muffler. also the gray 02 sensor reach without any problems!!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Get a 6" x 14" Magnaflow and put another muffler where your lunchbox resonator was. Total of 3 mufflers. That's what I have. I tried 1 muffler first(magnaflow) it was too loud. I then added a 3' glasspack after the flex, still too loud. With the 3rd muffler it's not too bad. I think it's an Ultraflo(straight through design like the magnaflow).

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
My F/W's header install, this morning= 4hrs

yeah its already disabled. and also the place thats installing it for me said the sensors cannot be interchanged as they are not the same
They are different, You can't mix them up, cause they only fit 1 way. The upstream o2 is the one you will be using, & only fit the 1 plug & not the other. I just installed my F/W's header/flex-pipe & stealth muffler this morning= 4hr's for me. The bracket that bolt's to the block & header, I had to drill a couple hole's closer than factory & zap off the welded nut's & used a couple of nut & bolt's, There is a bracket on the driver's side where the O2 connetor's are had to come off, cause it was hitting the front part of the header. The P/S fluid bottle is removed & the carbon canister is laid a side, after you disconnect the fuel line & evap line. The stealth muffler is pretty good size diameter wise, had to take a pri bar to the hanger mount's, so the muffler wasn't hitting the insulater's on both side, cause the diameter of the muffler, & it is pretty far forward, they could have moved it back a couple inch's, & I had it exstend the pipe 3.5'', to fit on my Borla exhaust. I know it would fit w/ the system. It is a lot more snapper now, pretty loud as the RPM's climb= 3500+. It has a deep tone thou, not so much ricey, just a deep tone. I forgot to add, I used the orignal insulating alloy from the heat shield's over the alt, to cut down on the header heat.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Get a 6" x 14" Magnaflow and put another muffler where your lunchbox resonator was. Total of 3 mufflers. That's what I have. I tried 1 muffler first(magnaflow) it was too loud. I then added a 3' glasspack after the flex, still too loud. With the 3rd muffler it's not too bad. I think it's an Ultraflo(straight through design like the magnaflow).
So what all did you install? header>3' glass pack then 2 mufflers? you used a 6X14" in the back but what did you use after the glasspack?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
i think im going to do this from the header back/flexpipe: header,flex, 18inch resonator,another resonator and straigt pipe

·
Registered
716 Posts
So what all did you install? header>3' glass pack then 2 mufflers? you used a 6X14" in the back but what did you use after the glasspack?
I used the 6"x14" after the glasspack in the stock muffler location. In the lunchbox location is a 8"x3 1\2"x14" Ultra Flo muffler.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I used the 6"x14" after the glasspack in the stock muffler location. In the lunchbox location is a 8"x3 1\2"x14" Ultra Flo muffler.
So they are all the round type? 6" around and 14" long? and its 2.5" in/out?

Then the 8" round X 3½" in/out and 14" long?

So now your tip in the back is 3½" comming out the back? That sounds really good.

Why not 3 resonator type? i would think that would flow the best with the most amount of sound dampening.

I might get all the same stuff plug an extra resonator have the glass pack and both resonators put on if its to loud then have the muffler put on insted of the last resonator.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
How 'bout adding 2-3 F/W's stealth muffler's in tandem? Any thought's on that. I like to here how that sound's.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
How about the flowmaster hushpower mufflers? There fairly small/compact.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
716 Posts
So they are all the round type? 6" around and 14" long? and its 2.5" in/out?

Then the 8" round X 3½" in/out and 14" long?

So now your tip in the back is 3½" comming out the back? That sounds really good.

Why not 3 resonator type? i would think that would flow the best with the most amount of sound dampening.

I might get all the same stuff plug an extra resonator have the glass pack and both resonators put on if its to loud then have the muffler put on insted of the last resonator.
The ultraflo is 2.5" in and out. It is 8" wide, 3.5 " tall and 14" long.
They are all a straight through design like the Magnaflow. According to Magnaflow it flows 95% of what an open pipe would. I'm not sure what you mean by resonator type. From what I've seen most resonators are just glasspacks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Seems to me if a shop is doing it have them lower the front subframe. Mine was a PITA. And it doesn't seen like it's worth it to scratch the valvecover. Just need a minor front alignment after.

Edit:also I'm running 2.5" mandrel bent with a magnaflow muffler 14" manaflow res and HFC. Sound nice and deep. Still louder than stock but it won't sound rice.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
No dropping the cradle required!

Seems to me if a shop is doing it have them lower the front subframe. Mine was a PITA. And it doesn't seen like it's worth it to scratch the valvecover. Just need a minor front alignment after.

Edit:also I'm running 2.5" mandrel bent with a magnaflow muffler 14" manaflow res and HFC. Sound nice and deep. Still louder than stock but it won't sound rice.
Why would you need to lower the cradle for? Installing a header & pulling out the OEM manicat, shouldn't even touch the cam cover at all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts