Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Automotive tire Plant Wood Sports equipment Camera lens
This is the fourth belt tensioner I've broke so far while attempting to put the serpentine belt back on a 2.0 liter 2009 Ford Focus. Never had this problem with anything else, this material is thermoplastic by the way (don't be fooled by the aluminum plated cover). The belt is still a bit too tight even after a full release before breaking the bolt head off no matter what I do, especially while pressing down as slowly and politely as possible it still snapped. I've measure the belt and made sure it's the correct length (88") and also using the correct belt configuration diagram based on this model. I'm not sure if there's any tricks out there other than getting a longer belt...what do y'all think? 馃が

Registered
What bolt did you snap off? You need to "tighten" the bolt in the center of the pulley which moves the entire pulley after the base is bolted down.

Registered
Slip the belt over the smooth water pump pulley - get an extra pair of hands to help.

Registered
View attachment 311726
This is the fourth belt tensioner I've broke so far while attempting to put the serpentine belt back on a 2.0 liter 2009 Ford Focus. Never had this problem with anything else, this material is thermoplastic by the way (don't be fooled by the aluminum plated cover). The belt is still a bit too tight even after a full release before breaking the bolt head off no matter what I do, especially while pressing down as slowly and politely as possible it still snapped. I've measure the belt and made sure it's the correct length (88") and also using the correct belt configuration diagram based on this model. I'm not sure if there's any tricks out there other than getting a longer belt...what do y'all think? 馃が
You are saying that the part of the tensioner that the 'nut' is part of is plastic?

On the OEM part that part is aluminum and will not break off.

Paul

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You are saying that the part of the tensioner that the 'nut' is part of is plastic?

On the OEM part that part is aluminum and will not break off.

Paul
Yes, this is the fourth one that broke. One was original, 2 from Duralast and one from Gates brands. They do break, because it is not aluminum. I know the difference between metal and plasic by looking at it and even the part store says so.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What bolt did you snap off? You need to "tighten" the bolt in the center of the pulley which moves the entire pulley after the base is bolted down.
I doubt that's the problem. In the picture, there's a nut I'm holding and it was on the pulley and it snapped while loosen the tensioner with a ratchet

Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
You are supposed to put a 15mm wrench on the center bolt of the pulley to rotate the tensioner out far enough to slip the belt on. Going to a 1/2 inch longer belt would not hurt anything but your wallet.

Registered
I've always been able to move the tensioner to the limit as far as it can go on the duratec and get the belt on. Maybe the belt is short?

A few years back I got a close out belt off RA that had the right part number but the belt did not fit.

Registered
Yes, this is the fourth one that broke. One was original, 2 from Duralast and Gates brands. They did break
The 'original' Ford tensioner would have been aluminum - not plastic - and would not have broken there.

Paul

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've always been able to move the tensioner to the limit as far as it can go on the duratec and get the belt on. Maybe the belt is short?

A few years back I got a close out belt off RA that had the right part number but the belt did not fit.
I measured it at 88", also I took it to Autozoneto see if it matches with the other brand and it was the same exact length..I thought about getting a longer belt or reusing the old one

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unless there is something weird/different with the Duratec, why are you putting a socket there? Install it, hold the pulley by the center bolt with a wrench, and put the belt on while you're holding the tension. You don't need to do anything with that bolt you have circled?
Ok, I'll try that since it going clockwise anyway. I didn't think of that. Thanks

Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
View attachment 311731
This is why I put the socket there. Usually, there's a socket drive, but...
That aluminum boss is for the factory to assemble the tensioner, not for you to use. Always use the center bolt on the pulley. I use a 15 mm wrench with the box end of an 18mm wrench wedged on it for leverage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You are supposed to put a 15mm wrench on the center bolt of the pulley to rotate the tensioner out far enough to slip the belt on. Going to a 1/2 inch longer belt would not hurt anything but your wallet.
10-4. I've never seen a tensioner with a hex head below the pulley and thought that's where the wrench needed to go..

1 - 20 of 79 Posts