Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my appointment today. Found out that just 10,000 miles ago, previous owners had tranny recall work done. So does that mean that the grinding and shuddering is caused by something else?

A mechanic told me that if I replaced the linkage of my transmission that it would help a great deal. Has anyone had this done?

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Many folks have had their clutch packs and/or seals replaced only to have the grinding / shuddering return. It's either that the replacement parts did not resolve the underlying issue or the service techs did not (or can not) put it back together accurately.

I would insist that the dealer install the latest clutch pack and/or seal design and most updated firmware and hope for the best.

What "linkage" is there on the DCT?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
So I had my appointment today. Found out that just 10,000 miles ago, previous owners had tranny recall work done. So does that mean that the grinding and shuddering is caused by something else?

A mechanic told me that if I replaced the linkage of my transmission that it would help a great deal. Has anyone had this done?
Was your appointment with your Ford Dealer, or a local mechanic? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The "recall" was probably Field Service Bulletin 12B37, which involved only a reprogramming of the engine/transmission software and didn't include replacing any parts.

This reprogramming helped many but would do nothing to prevent or correct leaking seals, which may very well be what your car has. The warranty on clutches and seals has been extended, so you should qualify. Take it in to a delaer as soon as possible. And, unless the grinding/shuddering is extremely minor, don't let them tell you it's "normal" behavior.

As Kam said, the new shift linkage comment is absolute nonsense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The "recall" was probably Field Service Bulletin 12B37, which involved only a reprogramming of the engine/transmission software and didn't include replacing any parts.

This reprogramming helped many but would do nothing to prevent or correct leaking seals, which may very well be what your car has. The warranty on clutches and seals has been extended, so you should qualify. Take it in to a delaer as soon as possible. And, unless the grinding/shuddering is extremely minor, don't let them tell you it's "normal" behavior.

As Kam said, the new shift linkage comment is absolute nonsense.
From what I understood from the appointment, the previous owner had the transmission reprogrammed and also had the clutch pads and seals replaced. But I could be wrong.

As for the linkage comment, it was from a guy at work who thinks he knows everything about cars. I put that in there just to prove how dumb it was and sounded.

I insisted that they redo the work again, seeing as how I just purchased this car 2 weeks ago and wanted something reliable. I have another appointment on Saturday for them to do so. Fingers crossed that it works. I have a 2000 mile trip coming up and have to drive there. I don't want to deal with any transmission problems on the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should also note that I purchased the car from a Chevy Buick GMC dealer locally. We have a local ford dealer as well, and the dealership I purchased from contracts out the labor on ford vehicles to the local ford dealer, Vance Ford.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
From what I understood from the appointment, the previous owner had the transmission reprogrammed and also had the clutch pads and seals replaced. But I could be wrong.

As for the linkage comment, it was from a guy at work who thinks he knows everything about cars. I put that in there just to prove how dumb it was and sounded.

I insisted that they redo the work again, seeing as how I just purchased this car 2 weeks ago and wanted something reliable. I have another appointment on Saturday for them to do so. Fingers crossed that it works. I have a 2000 mile trip coming up and have to drive there. I don't want to deal with any transmission problems on the way.
Just to let you know, this kind of job take more then a day to do. I think it's 7 or 8 hours of work. Prepare yourself to have your car back Sunday or Monday. Also, they may not have the parts and you may have to wait from a week to a month.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to let you know, this kind of job take more then a day to do. I think it's 7 or 8 hours of work. Prepare yourself to have your car back Sunday or Monday. Also, they may not have the parts and you may have to wait from a week to a month.
I figured as much. I am totally prepared to wait, as long as the problem gets fixed. I am just having them reprogram the transmission on Saturday, which I was told only takes an hour.

I am hoping that will fix the issue. I talked to the dealership yesterday and told them that if that doesn't fix the issue of the gears grinding then I want the transmission replaced. They were on board with that.

We will see what happens.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I figured as much. I am totally prepared to wait, as long as the problem gets fixed. I am just having them reprogram the transmission on Saturday, which I was told only takes an hour.

I am hoping that will fix the issue. I talked to the dealership yesterday and told them that if that doesn't fix the issue of the gears grinding then I want the transmission replaced. They were on board with that.

We will see what happens.
In the mean, may I suggest you try something out?

Step 1 - Find an open road where you can go at least 55 MPH.
Step 2 - From a complete stop, press the gas pedal all the way until you reach 55-60 MPH. You need to reach at least the fifth gear. Once reached, let the car slow down by itself until complete stop.
Step 3 - Repeat Step 2 a total of 5 times.
Step 4 - The transmission should be more firm with less shudder for a short time (maybe 300-500 miles).

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Ford Dealer. Current mileage is 74601.
Thanks! I see you mentioned in another post that you're heading back to the dealer this weekend. I can look into some additional assistance. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts