Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to adjust my rear toe, and when looking at my springs they seem to be VERY compressed, where only a few of the middle coils are adequately far apart. The paint on the top and the bottom of the coils near the top and the bottom of the springs have obviously been rubbing as paint is getting scraped off. Couldn't they have made stiffer springs that have the coils farther apart so they aren't scraping? Anyone else have this issue?

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Sounds like the spring broke and collapsed? Is it like that on both sides?
I peeked at mine just now and all the coils in the rear are evenly spaced except the last few on one end where it tightens up

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They don't seem broken... just went out and looked, from the top down it looks like this:
Coil 1, 2, 3, maybe 4 are just about touching.
Coil 5,6, 7, 8 are evenly spaced about an inch or so.
Couldn't see the bottom coil while installed, and actually couldn't see the top coil either.

Does that sound right? The back is sitting at the same height as the front.. all corners are even.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
That sounds right, Mine are like that. One end theyre together tighter in a group. But mine doesn't have rub marks on it.

Do you have a picture? Are you bottoming out alot?

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Could also be that your shock has blowed out , do you see anything that looks like a type of oil leaking on the shock? I had some rubbing issues on the passenger side rear when I would go over a bump and found out that my shock was leaking really bad.

Replaced it and hasn't rubbed since and I have the FRPP suspension also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the suspension is fairly new, been on about 5k miles.

There are no leaks, I've checked on that.

I don't know, maybe this kit just sucks. It's obviously a budget kit, I guess I get what I pay for. I just don't get why they would use springs that use coils on coils while sitting at normal riding height... why not just make them stronger and well spaced. I'll take pictures for reference and post them in a second.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
It's not unusual for a lowering spring to have several very closely spaced coils at the end of the spring. These are referred to as dead coils as when they are compressed they do touch and do not contribute to the spring rate. They are essentially there to keep the coil seated when the suspension is in droop/extended. As for the missing paint, if it is between coils other than the dead ones, it may be a sign that the shocks and/or bump stops may not be doing their jobs.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
My shock that I previously talked about hadn't been on very long either and when I replaced it , you could actually compress it by hand and it wouldn't return to its normal position at all .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not unusual for a lowering spring to have several very closely spaced coils at the end of the spring. These are referred to as dead coils as when they are compressed they do touch and do not contribute to the spring rate. They are essentially there to keep the coil seated when the suspension is in droop/extended. As for the missing paint, if it is between coils other than the dead ones, it may be a sign that the shocks and/or bump stops may not be doing their jobs.
It's just the dead ones. Well, is there any solution for a rubber/gasket piece to fit in between them, and maybe at the top/bottom of where the spring sits?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
It's just the dead ones. Well, is there any solution for a rubber/gasket piece to fit in between them, and maybe at the top/bottom of where the spring sits?
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If it really troubles you, I guess you could slide some rubber or polyurethane tubing over the ends of the coils. Some springs come this way from the factory but I doubt if it lasts very long.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
That's the way progressive spring's work vs specific spring's. You added need damper's w/ the spring's?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the way progressive spring's work vs specific spring's. You added need damper's w/ the spring's?
Yes, I have front struts and rear shocks, as well as the springs at all four corners. All the same matching FRPP kit.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If it really troubles you, I guess you could slide some rubber or polyurethane tubing over the ends of the coils. Some springs come this way from the factory but I doubt if it lasts very long.
I guess if it doesn't matter, it just doesn't matter. Thanks for the help folks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts