Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i've been running the FRPP suspension for years. 160k miles to be exact.
i installed the original many years ago and ordered and had a shop replace the struts when they started getting soft around 120k.
since then, i've been chewing up strut mounts. I wrote off the first ones because my entire suspension was ignored for too long and i had everything from bad mounts, to bad ball joints and sway bar links. but replaced those and put new mounts on and chewed another one up in only a month or so -

Is it just me, or do I recall a "beefier" strut mount, thick rubber that the spring actually sat around vs. the thin plastic bearing for the 2011 SE, and the same that came with the kit?

or any other ideas that might cause the bearings to fall apart, the springs seem to be digging right into the plastic and breaking them up.

Running Eibach sport sprints on the M-18000-zx3b kit, all else stock.
2011 Focus S

w/ my magic bag
What strut mounts are you using? Not kyb's?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
no, first i used the stock mounts that came in the strut kit - when i pulled them they were really chewed up like the springs pushed right through the bearings , now i'm using the stock duralast for the vehicle.

but the more i think about this, the more i wonder if there wasn't something a little "tougher" for direct sprint mounts like this

or should i just stick to the kyb's - don't recall ever even looking at those when i first put this build together. but they do look a bit closer to what i thought i recalled. these stock mount bearings are just some cheap plastic that seems to be falling apart.

w/ my magic bag
I'd pass on the kyb's.....Use the oem Ford ones.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Registered
How do you like the Eibach springs?

Same suspension setup on my 11, but I've got the FRPP springs as well as struts. I've considered switching to the Eibach springs for 08-11, but I'd have to also order complete strut bearing/mount kit for 08-11 since the FRPP springs are fit to 06-07 mounting hardware.

I had some similar issues with ACDelco replacement bearings several years back, the bearing basically disintegrated, though I went with MOOG replacements and haven't had any more issues since.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I love them, i've been running them since i put them on which was right after or shortly after i bought the car new early 2011 , still running the same springs. replaced the struts once and i'm at 165K. I officially hate the mounts that come in the strut kit and the duracrap ones they sell in stores. I figured out what happened and why my mounts suck all of a sudden.

when I installed the kit in 2011 I over torqued and snapped my mount bolts.
so off I ran to the local ford dealership for new mounts and guess what, they are better quality than the ones that come in the kit or are sold by AutoZone or Advanced. forgot about that detail until recently...

had the struts replaced by a shop while living apartement life, Fast forward to this year and i finally am back out of apartment life and in a house with my own garage and open the suspension up to find the stock mounts that I had put on are shredded so I replace them from Auto zone and three weeks later one of them is shredded again.... , the ford mounts and bearings (specifically the bearings) are much beefier rubber molded, not the cheap plastic bearing sandwhich that comes int he strut kit. just ordered the bearings and hoping at this point they at least mary up with the duralast mounts well enough.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
for anyone doing their own suspension work, and dealing with the duracrap parts - you will notice an immediate difference - the KYB look a lot closer to Ford OEM, than duratec. notice the rubber molding and spring shoulder - these lasted the life of the first struts. the duratecs didn't last a couple weeks.

[/URL][/IMG]

w/ my magic bag
I'd pass on the kyb's.....Use the oem Ford ones.
for anyone doing their own suspension work, and dealing with the duracrap parts - you will notice an immediate difference - the KYB look a lot closer to Ford OEM, than duratec. notice the rubber molding and spring shoulder - these lasted the life of the first struts. the duratecs didn't last a couple weeks.

What I mentioned also......Same as the motor mounts too........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts