Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm going to be buying the FRPP kit from Mike here soon for my 2002 ZX3. I'm trying to get a ball park figure on how much time to plan for here. I'm pretty competent when it comes to working on cars. I've done shock and strut installs many many times, and I will have access to pretty much any tool ever needed to work on a car, as well as an air wrench. And the big one ... I will have access to a maintenance lift to bring the car up. Any guestimate on install time?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
For someone experienced, one hour per side front and a half hour per side rear (more time will be spent in the rear taking out and replacing the interior trim and liners than the shock and spring replacement itself...the rears are easy). Add another half hour to the rear for camber bolt installation (need to grind off some spot welds to remove nut). Time shown assumes all bolts initially break free (minimal rust).

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, its really easy, if you have a decent spring compressor, it will take you no time. I replaced my full suspension w/ a roush II suspension kit and rear sway from steeda in about 8 hours, but I only had basic hand tools and a jack. I would bet you can get the entire car done in about 3 hours.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, buying the kit from Mike, the front comes preassembled. The springs already mounted onto the struts.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
with pre assembled struts, and an un rusted rear LCA bolt (as your Florida car should).
it could be done in 2 hours.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. I might just go ahead and order this and do it over Thanksgiving ... going to the parents and they're near the hobby shop I can use that has the lift and all the tools.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I'd say definately no more than 3 hours if the front struts are already assembled. If your car has spent its whole life in FL (away from salt water) then u shouldnt have any problems with any bolts sticking. I replaced all my suspension bits with an eibach prokit with 90k on the car and all the bolts came off like butter!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Yeah if the front struts are assembled it really takes the time outta it. Heck most of my time spent is freaking taking the old one apart just to get the top bearing and then putting the new one together. lol. Much wrench turning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts