Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got up this morning, walked out to my 2005 Focus ZX5 and found out someone had knocked the driver's side-view mirror off. It was hanging by the controller cable. Maybe the anonymous driver ran into it because of all the ice from the recent ice storm. Great.

Speaking of ice, I got about four blocks before I realized I couldn't see through the windshield, so I hit the washer button. The wipers froze in mid-arc, and wouldn't move anymore. So I got out and looked at 'em, and realized there was a block of ice down in the grill where the wiper actuators move back and forth.

So now there's no movement at all from the wipers when I turn them on. And I can grab one of the wipers, and move it back and forth across the windshield, and the other will follow it. But there's no resistance at all. Just a slight whirring noise.

Anyone else have one of those mornings? [?|]

Better yet, anyone have any ideas on how to fix these things? [:)]

·
☼
7,494 Posts
This happened to me.. if you see the motor in the middle of the cowel, there should be 2 metal bars going away to the motor to the driver's side wiper arm. Mine had one disconnected from the ice hitting it, and it needed to be taken out and reattached. If you take the motor out, you could see which one needs to be attached, if one is loose. Make sure one is not attached before you take it out so it won't be for a waste. Basically the silver one was disconnected, so I heard the motor but the arms weren't moving. Mine could be moved freehand so I think it might be the same problem.

Good luck.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
I HATE that. There seems to be an unusual case of people knocking Focus side mirrors off. I had the same thing happen to me too, right after halloween. The driver side mirror was dangling from the cable, from what I presume to be a hit and run. But it's always a clean hit and run. No fender or door damage. How can somebody manage to knock those mirrors clean right off without scraping up the side of the car? It's a complete mystery to me! Unless Focus mirrors have been known to spontaneously break. It can't be a coincidence, it just can't be!

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
The plastic grill that covers the wipers pops off with two push in tabs on the front and then pops off. Mark the wipers where they are on the stalks before you take them off ( so you get them back right the first time). Then remove the cover.
There is a pair of metal arms under there. See which end is disconnected. It is prolly the one towards the drivers door. Feel under the arm and you will feel the hole that the arm "plugs back into. I had to get a c-clamp to clip mine back together with. Then just put it all back together in reverse order, using the marks on the wipers you make sure you get the angle right.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I HATE that. There seems to be an unusual case of people knocking Focus side mirrors off. I had the same thing happen to me too, right after halloween. The driver side mirror was dangling from the cable, from what I presume to be a hit and run. But it's always a clean hit and run. No fender or door damage. How can somebody manage to knock those mirrors clean right off without scraping up the side of the car? It's a complete mystery to me! Unless Focus mirrors have been known to spontaneously break. It can't be a coincidence, it just can't be!
a baseball bat will do it... atleast thats what the little jr. high pricks around here like to do... hasnt happend to mine yet, but a few friends of mine have had it done

-AcId-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easier to disassemble that assemble...

There is a pair of metal arms under there. See which end is disconnected. It is prolly the one towards the drivers door. Feel under the arm and you will feel the hole that the arm "plugs back into. I had to get a c-clamp to clip mine back together with. Then just put it all back together in reverse order, using the marks on the wipers you make sure you get the angle right.
Thanks for the guidance. I can feel a "ball" that the socket on the arm plugs into, and it's the one directly under the wiper motor. There doesn't seem to be any obvious way to "plug" the arm back onto that ball. Seem like it would take a *lot* of pressure, and there's no way to get any leverage. Any ideas? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success!

Sorry, I had a brain-fart, and read but didn't understand viney266's "I had to get a c-clamp to clip mine back together with".

For some reason, my brain substituted "c-clamp to clip" with "circlip". Once I got a 4" c-clamp around the ball and socket, it popped it without too much difficulty.

Thanks for all the great info. Glad I didn't have to go find a 3/4" circlip and try to slip that on from below the wiper motor. [rolleyes]

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
had one of those mornings last year...got outside, saw glass on the ground by the side of my car...windows all intact so i thought nothing of it...got in, thought "geez, my driver side mirror shouldn't be black, oh crap, that's the glass on the ground!" no biggee, deal with it later. then tried to drive off to head to school...but wait...the car is chugging along. pulled over. what's wrong? front driver side tire is down. go in the house, get the parents, come back out and realize its both tires on the driver side...slashed. plus the busted mirror. and chips of paint taken out of the side from the mirror shattering. and a small dent.

yeah...one of those mornings.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Success!

Sorry, I had a brain-fart, and read but didn't understand viney266's "I had to get a c-clamp to clip mine back together with".

For some reason, my brain substituted "c-clamp to clip" with "circlip". Once I got a 4" c-clamp around the ball and socket, it popped it without too much difficulty.

Thanks for all the great info. Glad I didn't have to go find a 3/4" circlip and try to slip that on from below the wiper motor. [rolleyes]
Cool ^^^ glad I could help.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
You claiming the mirror on your insurance?

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Yeah, I guess you're right. That sucks, people are jerks.

Someone backed into my bumper on my '04 SVT when my gf drove it to school. I saw it on my break at work. I was pissed.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
haha, die of ghanarria and rot in hell. LoL Laces out!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The plastic grill that covers the wipers pops off with two push in tabs on the front and then pops off. Mark the wipers where they are on the stalks before you take them off ( so you get them back right the first time). Then remove the cover.
How did you take the wipers off? They seem to stick pretty tight on the axes. I tried to pull them off but they didn't move at all.[:(]
Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
the wiper arm has a plastic cover of about 5 in. long, u have to pop that off and you'll see an screw, after u removed the screw you can try pulling up and shaking it at the same time...
good luck
javier

1 - 20 of 27 Posts