Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

2002 ZX3, Zetec, 254,000km (~160,000mi).

Front wipers have been rather slow lately, and this morning they stopped working entirely, stopping mid-windshield. Rear works, washers work.

I parked it, then went to check the fuses and to see if I could hear the relay clicking at lunchtime. When I turned the key to on, the wipers parked themselves. I made them do a swipe of the windshield and left it at that.

Does the motor have some sort of overload switch that will reset itself?

I will check the linkage and lubricate it when I get home, anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so on further inspection, it only works on mist (and barely at that).

Going to replace the relay (or swap it with the rear, if I recall correctly, I still have the two separate relays in there).

I'll post my results.

Brian

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Hmmmm, interesting. It's hard to say. Most problems are the wiper switch, but it doesn't start working again from what I understand. It is possible that the switch has a bad connection- that would cause the wipers to slow down with a good motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

I was on the highway (70-80mph) this morning when the mist function 'stopped' working. I'm guessing the wind resistance kept it from going any further down.

I didn't push the issue in the afternoon as I was happy the wipers weren't in the middle of the windshield any longer. I turned the key to on and the wipers parked. I then tried the washers, they squirted and the wipers swept the windshield (slowly), and I shut it off after the second swipe.

In the driveway, they move on the mist setting, but need some help. They don't budge on any other setting.

I drive this car almost exclusively (98%) on the highways and use Rain-X, so I don't tend to use the full-time wipers much, if at all.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it only works on mist and not any other setting I am pretty sure it is the switch that is the problem, don't know how handy you are but you could bypass the switch and see if they work with a direct feed.

If it were the bushes or wiper motor then it would work on all settings and would show better movement on a higher setting.

I know you eliminated the relay but that mainly control's wiper intervals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so I just checked, here's what works and what doesn't.

Rear wiper and washer work as expected.

Front washer works and the wipers will try to work - I have to 'help' them through a few spots by hand, but they will sweep.

Mist setting works as above, they try to go, but can't get going and will sweep with some help.

The fast 'on' setting (all the way down) doesn't really seem to do anything, the wipers will sweep, but it feels like I'm doing most of the work.

The slower 'on' setting seems to works more or less like the mist.

All settings work as above when the rear wiper is on as well.

When they move, they move _slow_, probably almost 5 seconds to sweep and return. They have been slowing down for several months at least.

I haven't had the cowl off to have a look at the linkage, but from what I can see through the mesh, it doesn't look particularly corroded. I sprayed some liquid wrench thorough the mesh at some of the parts I could see, to no effect.

What do you think?

It sounds like the switch is an easy swap. I know a few people at work have 1st gen Focus' like I do, maybe I'll try and con them into trying out their switch.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
If power is getting to the wipers on all settings then I would say motor is out, I haven't done a ford before but in general, motors are not normally a hard thing to change sometimes awkward though. Some motors you can repair by changing the bushes as its more than likely the issue here.

If you can do a swap of switches then I would do that 1st just to check.

I would normally bypass all components and 'hot wire' the motor as you can then be 100% sure if it is or isn't motor at fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, that switch came out in about 10 seconds, no tools. Nice surprise.

So, now I'm being lazy, any idea which pins I'd need to short on the connector?

Otherwise, I'll grab a switch from a co-worker.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK, that switch came out in about 10 seconds, no tools. Nice surprise.

So, now I'm being lazy, any idea which pins I'd need to short on the connector?

Otherwise, I'll grab a switch from a co-worker.

Thanks,

Brian
Sorry haven't got the data book on this laptop and not worked on your model before. Lets hope your CO worker is willing if not let me know and will look at data book for you.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Do you have an electrical tester? If so, find a reliable ground- like the outside of the 12v power outlet. Then look for the hot. There should only be one. Everything else is what an electrician would call a switchleg- or the power that is switched to the device.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
sorry to wake this one back up.

my symptoms are exactly the same, I have pmed the op to find out how their repair went. no response.

has anybody else seen this? was it the switch or the motor? thanks.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts