Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
2002 sedan, front wiper doesn't work anymore. They are still at park area.

Fuse is ok
and I hear the relay when I turn them on. However, if I put it to intermitent, level 1 (fastest) I don't hear any "tic" from the relay every X seconds.

what else can I check ?

I have 12v at the fuse at slow continue speed

thanks

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
mmm......try a quick search on ford focus wiring diagrams...... I know the haynes manual I have, has a wiring diagram, but I don't think I can post that...

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ooops.......sorry. lemme check

ok..... a little crazier than I thought lol, but I have two (or four) going to the motor: one white/black, black is the ground, then another one that looks to go directly to it, and that one says white/green...

if that made any sense

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doesn't tell witch do what...

I got a sedan, no rear wiper..
but I have R18 and R19

R18 was gray and R19 Black

I've interchange them, same result..
the black one seem the ford replacement part F57B-14B192-AA

maybe both are faulty ?!?!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
also have a sedan....... I'm sure you've done this, but check to make sure there's a 20A fuse (obviously, cause it works :B)

there's a possibility in it though. I need to replace my relay cause whenever I stop the circuit for a pass.......the wiper just stops wherever I turn it off

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
**update**

AGAIN !!!!!
wiper not working anymore...
I hear the relay clicking only 2time on 3
I suspect again the relay
and when I hear the relay, nothing happend...
HELP !!

can't be the relay AGAIN ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
went fine since jan 2009
the last 2-3 times I've used them the wiper motor made a lot of noise and was working VERY slow and then dead... ! I still hear the click but nothing work anymore

faulty relay again or motor ? any easy way to test the wiper motor ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
same problem 2001 SE wagon

I am having the same general problem... ie front wipers suddenly stopped working.

The fuses are good. Replaced the relay and it did not help... my R18 & R19 were together, was only able to get 1 relay for time being and it worked fine in rear wiper slot. Replaced the wiper switch and it did not help. No loose wires on connector. Unplugged/replugged the fusebox connectors and checked for loose wires... nothing. Attempted to explain problem to daughter, turned key and wipers started working. Turned off ignition switch, back on, and nothing. Wiggled everything I imagined wiggling between nothing and the miracle movement, and still nothing.

Thus, I suspect that either I have a broken wire or the computer is somehow preventing the wipers from working (haven't looked yet to see if that is possible). I have a meter, but, without a wiring/pin diagram, I'm not sure how to proceed on my assumption that it is a broken wire.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Relays don't 'go' in the way fuses would go. Normally excess current through the contacts weld them together. This would mean the circuit would always be 'on' which is not the case here. It could be then that the welded contacts have melted. My thoughts are that the motor bearings, and/or the wiper mechanism are stiff/seizing and putting a heavy load on the motor causing it to draw excess current. A secondhand motor and thorough lubrication of the wiper control arms and pivots would probably sort you out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I think the problem has to be lack of current somewhere. There's no movement whatsoever in the wipers when the switch is put on, no motor sound, and no signs of struggle when they did move.

I returned the new relay because the evidence suggested that the relay was not the problem... ie, replacement worked in the rear wiper slot but not in the front wiper slot. I'm now wishing I had it back so I could verify my suspected pin outs. However, I guess I should be able to figure some of this out with a continuity meter. Assuming it's wired fuse --> switch --> relay. there's certain things that have to be connected on at least one pin. My guess is that I'm not getting current to the relay coil. It also just dawned on me that I have a stethoscope, so I will listen carefully since I should be able to hear the relay close. This has definitely been more of a pain in the rear than expected...

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK used stethoscope and can hear rear window wiper relay engage but nothing for front... Now, assuming this is an RC circuit and the timing is adjusted by engaging various resistors in the switch, where is the capacitor?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts