Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone out there help me? I am getting really really annoyed with the Front windscreen wipers leaving a gap in between the two at the top centre of my windscreen. The left wiper pushes the water up there and the right one doesn't cover the whole bit, so that means the dirty leftovers end up dribbling down my windscreen slowly. Are there any known simple fixes? I have looked at adding a larger blade to the right one, but it's not easy as there's only abouyt 2 inches between them when they're stopped at the bottom. I'll have to put my head around it but I'd love some help if anyone has done this before.

I assume it was done that way so that the entire bottom section of the windscreen doesn't leave the traditional triangle of untouched glass, problem is it's now on top and it dribbles down over the clean glass, especially if just cleaning dust or flies off when it's otherwise not raining, you have to let it drip then wipe the screen again a minute later, which only serves to then make it streaky and dirty again!! I can't win!!!!!!!!

Anyone with me?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It rains in Australia? [:D]
Actually I know what you're talking about. Perhaps a longer blade would help but in the long run you'd probably still have some sort of frustration because there'd be a drip or run somewhere else.

J

·
0 Posts
You will have to get use to it- the Focus has a relatively tall windshield which is not easy to clear cleanly. As for trying longer blades- the Focus already uses some of the longest blades out there and any longer they would hit each other or the A-pillars.

-JBFG

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i've been playing with some measurements. If only the right blade had a few more centimetres... I will work on something, as it is I have an idea anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you guys wanna see a realy good fix to this. go look at a 190 mercedes benz. probably the most ingeniously designed wipper in the world. it is one wipper that gets the whole windshield.

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
I haven't used Rain-X yet, will do that someday though. I bought really good wipers, I forget what size though... they were nice and big and rocked! Then I bought newer ones, the wrong size... ugh... too small... waaay big gap. GRRR.. now I can't get them OFF to change them!? heheee... figures

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've got the original blades on my car and i'm pushing 50K. They work great as long as I put Rain-X on every 6 months. No Rain-x and all I get is water smeared on the windshield[hihi]

·
Registered
42 Posts
focus said:
I've got the original blades on my car and i'm pushing 50K. They work great as long as I put Rain-X on every 6 months. No Rain-x and all I get is water smeared on the windshield[hihi]
never heard of Rain-X but i will look into it...had my car a year and the wipers now S-U-C-K
anyone got any suggestions for new ones?

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
with my wipers I find that they leave a semi-smeared kinda appearance on the screen if it's either not raining heavily enough or they are too fast/clearing too well. They work fine when it's pissing down with rain, but light rain makes then smear my screen and i always thought that my dealer had put rain x on. In that case, does rain-x get rid of the need for wipers?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Rain-X is like a wax for your windows. The water beeds up and the wind pushes it right off the windshield. If I'm on the highway I don't even have to turn the blades on and if it's raining real real real super bad it makes a big difference. I highly recomend it. It'll last about 6 months before it starts wearing off. A bottle is about $5 and it'll take a long time before you have to buy another one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
thats what i found - if its puking it down hard then all is good but a drizzle i might as well drive with my head out the sunroof [thumb]

i am going to pick up some rain-x tomorrow and after the first drizzle i will post some reports...

·
Registered
798 Posts
It doesn't get rid of a need for them. If it's raining super dooper bad where everybody is going like 30mph on the highway then I'll use my wipers or if I'm in the city and not going fast enough for the water to get blown off the windshield. But the thing I like is that there is no smearing at all, one swipe of the blades gets all the water off the windshield.

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm. I might try something on my windscreen then coz they definitely smear my vision when there's not enough water. I'll go get me some Rain-x then. Thanks for your help folks!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rain X is very good stuff, I highyl recommend it. My last car didnt even need wipers with the stuff on, the water just fell off the car.

Havent tried it on the Focus yet, still has its new polish on the windows, but probably put some on soon!

Cheers..... Tim

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Tim maybe that's what is smearing up my windscreen, the new car polish. Any idea how to get it off? (I have washed it many many times since new, after all it's 6 months old) I'll def invest in some Rain-x though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
picked some up at Part Source today @6.99 CDN for a bottle. All i need is some rain now...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts