Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Focus' windows refuse to go down. It first started out with the passenger side, then they worked again, and now both front windows do not work.

This is the first really cold day below freezing, so I'm thinking water might be trapped somewhere and froze. The car sounds different and the lights dim for a split second when I try to roll them down, so I know something is trying to work.

Any ideas? My car's out of warranty as far as I know at 75,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Did you check the battery connection ? Sound like they are corroded so badly the alternator is having problem to keep up. Are they very thight in place ? Make sure the connection are perfect.

The battery is maybe at fault but since the car is running, the alternator should cover the AMP required for the window. Do you have problem starting the car in the morning ? Does it crank a lot / slowly ?

By the way, which lights dim ? What sound (describe it) ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, I doubt that. I can jam with the lights turned on while the rear windows dance in sync with the music and it does nothing. But the sound is the car dropping 100~ rpms for a hot second at idle while the front windows try to roll down.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Nah, I doubt that. I can jam with the lights turned on while the rear windows dance in sync with the music and it does nothing. But the sound is the car dropping 100~ rpms for a hot second at idle while the front windows try to roll down.
Check fuse F46. Try to replace, just to test. You should have a spare in the fuse box if I remember correctly. It's 25A (color is gray/transparent) - mini fuse.

This fuse is under the hood. Make sure the fuse is well in place and pushed down at max.

I am guessing a bad fuse making a short in the system. The fuse F46 control only the front window motor. Just in case needed for someone else: the fuse F14 is for the back window.

After that and the battery, I don't know what to test / tell you. Can you put a multimeter on the fuse while the window is going down to see if the voltage is dropping or going up ... or even stable at 12V ?
Make sure you use a metal part with no paint on it (the engine block) as ground since a car fuse only has positive.

Attachments

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Before going crazy trying to find an issue, I'd suggest waiting till temperatures warm up again or put the car in a warm building just in case it is just ice like you said. If there was a rain just before it froze, it could easily gotten in or on the window causing your issue.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine has done the same thing twice when its cold and its not due to them being frozen shut because there has been no rain/snow just cold weather. The first time I noticed it the passenger window would not roll down, the second time I was trying to badge out the gate at work and the drivers window wouldn't roll down and both times it was around 15º. If you do a google search there have been some other complaints on some other model fords as well and most of them were fixed with the dealer lubricating them, here a link to one:
http://www.fordescape.org/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/220-windows-wont-go-up-cold-weather.html

Yours sounds a little different than mine though and it could very well be frozen shut. I was going to take mine to the dealer and have them look at it whenever I get some free time. Of course when the vehicle warms up the windows work as expected, electrical problems are always the most annoying to fix because of this.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My 2012 Focus' windows refuse to go down. It first started out with the passenger side, then they worked again, and now both front windows do not work.

This is the first really cold day below freezing, so I'm thinking water might be trapped somewhere and froze. The car sounds different and the lights dim for a split second when I try to roll them down, so I know something is trying to work.

Any ideas? My car's out of warranty as far as I know at 75,000 miles.
Hi SCaliber,

I recommend heading to your dealer to have this looked into. Once you have an appointment set up, please let me know so I can check into available options.

...I was going to take mine to the dealer and have them look at it whenever I get some free time. Of course when the vehicle warms up the windows work as expected, electrical problems are always the most annoying to fix because of this.
Hi n8 dawg,

I'm glad to hear your windows are working again. Keep me updated if the symptoms come back. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
21 Posts
ford

I would think Ford Service would have some insight on these strange problems besides "take it to the dealer"

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I would think Ford Service would have some insight on these strange problems besides "take it to the dealer"
Commenting on a THREE YEAR OLD thread..
Zombie thread alert!!!

For what it is worth..
I would suggest the window glass is frozen stuck to the sides.
No solution until the car is warmed up.

I would use some silicone spray on the felt grooves the glass slides up and down in..
I have used Rain X just squirted into the slots on the sides of the windows..
Thugh most likely the folks who were writing in the three year old thread have MOVED ON.. LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
My window isn't frozen.. 15* F here.. It will, all of a sudden start working, then quit again. It did the same thing at 50*. So the Focus has been having the same problem for 3 years, and still no logical solution.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
FWIW - the "Ford Service" people when they were active on here were Customer Service types, only able to facilitate communications between Customer/Dealer/Ford Warranty & Service people.
They were NOT tech people themselves.

kodpkd - I'd make a FIRST guess at a poor connection in your system somewhere, as long as the NORMAL programmed functions like one touch down still work normally.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So my front driver panel has just started doing this same thing. It seems to be only the panel, as everything on it is dead...but then starts working fine again. It's all the windows, mirrors, and window lock. Goes from working fine -> completely dead -> pseudo working where the window will go up and down an inch at a time -> working fine -> completely dead. I'm afraid to use it and have them stuck down. Seems like a connection is bad, but anyone experience this before?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts