Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's really cold here in ames and this morning my windows frosted up really badly. When I turn my focus to full defrost the side vents don't blow very much air at all - they're pretty useless in fact.

Does anyone else have this problem? Am I missing something??

Are they really that bad??!

·
Registered
596 Posts
of all the car's i have owned... i never thought the side window vents were worth much.. tho i do let my car warm up (when it's cold and this year for memphis it has been cold). I also sit under a carport always...cept of course when I'm out.. but I think CJohn364 may have a good solution....

·
Registered
418 Posts
I start it up and let it sit until the rpms drop to a near-normal idle (Northern IL winters get cold, so I don't expect it to be running perfect). Typically, on a 5-10° morning (about what we've been seeing lately), as soon as I start the car, it'll jump to 2.5k rpms, then settle around 2k, and slowly drop. By the time it's at 1.25k or lower (if it's warm enough, I'll wait for 1k), and she's good to go. No less than 3 minutes before it starts cranking out HOT air.

As for the side vents, dunno. I just scrape and take off. No point in trying to wait for the fog to clear as that could be 10-20 minutes in this weather, and it'll get worse as soon as you put a warm body in there.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
well... my car is owned by me... honhon... so of course it works perfect.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i cant wait to get my bumpers painted and then get a FS lip and paint it with SEM trim paint and throw it on... shit will look bangin! /endrant

post 7400!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
that's interesting because i have always thought that my vents work awesome and better than any other car i have been in

5,155 Posts
How did you do that focusboy5? They look awesome!

Also, I always start my car about 5-10 minutes before I leave. Always gets it defrosted enough to drive. But I don't get hot air until I've driven about 2 miles...[scratch]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Side vents seem to work OK, just need a little time to warm up. On a recent 3-1/2 hour drive through snow and freezing rain had no problems. Also, first car I ever had where the wipers didn't ice up - amazing

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
How did you do that focusboy5? They look awesome!

Also, I always start my car about 5-10 minutes before I leave. Always gets it defrosted enough to drive. But I don't get hot air until I've driven about 2 miles...[scratch]
Thanks!
I got them for christmas and I was like crap...where do I put these. I saw the vent hole and was like "that's it!" So The cover to the vent pops right off and the tube for the air can be moved slightly. So I cut the vent cover so it would hold the tweeter, and then I pushed the tube down a little a ran the wires and tapped into my rear speakers. Until I get my new amp they will be a little under powered but they still help out a lot with those hight notes. If you want any more help, feel free to ask. I can snap some more pics too.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
i think they work alright, but it annoys me you cant keep the recirc on if the upper vents are selected. you get more air with recirc, and in my other cars, that option is what you use when u first start the car. i DO love the heated mirrors tho. very helpful!

·
Registered
596 Posts
That's sorta stange..cuz when I smoked and used the defrost, the smoke, even with the windows down smoke really didn't go out the window, but stayed in the car...when I put the control on vent/floor the smoke went out the window...it has been my experience that if the smoke (I no longer smoke) stays in the car even with the window down a little then the air is recirculating and when the smoke goes out then it is the outside air coming through the vents creating a draft...IDK, but that's been my experience...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine seem to work well, but takes a long time to get to defrost... and the other thing... If I want to close my center vents... I have to close by turning the direction either to the left or right, but it never seals it properly. I understand that the 05 have a wheel you can actually close it??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts