Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
If you are referring to the threaded shaft that is the tie rod. Commonly the end to the left that threads onto it is loose, or the OUTER tie rod end, with worse wear the threaded shaft itself can wear at the ball joint under the rubber boot just visible to the right.

To replace the outer, after loosening the jam nut then carefully unthread the outer from the shaft while counting the numbers of turns it was on, that gets you back to close with the new one but you may still need an alignment. Of course you have to detach the outer ball end of the outer from the knuckle too.

Those being loose can most definitely lead to tires moving around in a shake.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
Sometimes they like a lot of other front end parts do NOT need to be changed in pairs, I've seen it often. The other of whatever it is can last for years more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sometimes they like a lot of other front end parts do NOT need to be changed in pairs, I've seen it often. The other of whatever it is can last for years more.
True. I missed the accident part too. Second nature to do a visual then check for excessive movement before spending. I do have a nasty habit of replacing high mileage pieces while I am doing others if its relatively cheap or get the closeouts on RockAuto(like MOOG tie rod ends for a '99 ZX2 for $6.86 each). A prior '03 SE was hit in the front right just minor sheet metal but the axle started clicking etc and the left side was still going good at 157K.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
I DO change close in parts depending on the degree of work needed. Like yanking trans for this or that, if mileage is up I will change both the rear engine seal and the ATX front one. That comes from once on a 360 V-8 Hornet ripping out the entire suspension to get to oil pan to remove and clean swarf out of pump pickup tube, I looked up at the rear main seal and remember thinking whattre the odds and then did nothing there. The freakin' seal started leaking maybe a month later. I was plenty mad at myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I stopped using moog parts. They're terrible, gone way downhill. Still made in china, and they dont even make the rubber boots correctly anymore, they dont seal any of the grease in...wtf moog.

just stick with ac delco atleast they can manufacture a tie rod end correctly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts