Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a post over in the brakes and suspension section but I havent really got much help there. I had a clunking noise up front that ended up being the end links I replaced them and everything was good. The clunking noise came back within a week and I ended up having one end link that I just bought go bad so I got another set and everything is good now. I also had a humming noise at high speeds turning the wheel to the right. That ended up being my drivers side wheel bearing. So I went to replace the wheel bearing I purchased a national bearing from the auto parts store and my brother works at a local ford dealer he was able to press out the old bearing and the new one in. In the process I couldnt get the axle seperated from the knuckle and in the process I damaged the threaded end of the axle so then I needed a cv axle as well. I was having trouble getting the axle out of the tranny and I ended up getting a slide hammer and putting the 2 hook attachment on the end and attaching the hooks to the lip behind the inner cv joint and the axle came out super easy. I got the replacement axle and got it in without much trouble. After everything was back together I test drove the car and everything seemed to be good and back to normal. This morning when I was driving to work I heard a whistiling or slight squealing sound from the driver front wheel where I did all the work. The car seems to drive fine but there is def a whistiling/squealing sound coming from that wheel. If you put the window down you can hear the noise at all speeds but it gets louder at higher speeds it isnt loud enough that you can hear it with the radio on but with it off you can hear it and when driving beside cars, buildings, beariors, etc you can hear it pretty loud bouncing off those objects you can hear it with the window down as well. I am pretty stumped as to what would be causing the noise and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an 09 focus ses 5spd with 65K on it.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
How tight did you get the axle nut? The most common error there. Need 200 ft.lbs. Sure you got all your brake parts tight?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How tight did you get the axle nut? The most common error there. Need 200 ft.lbs. Sure you got all your brake parts tight?
Thanks for the reply I have a click type tourque wrench and the numbers dont go to 200 on it so I put the ft lbs as high as they would go and tightened down the axle nut. I am going to borrow my friends or brothers and make sure it is torqued right. The one thing I am thinking because this is the only thing that comes to mind that may not have been done properly. The old axle nut had a washer type thing attached to it and the new axle nut was just a nut. I took the washer off the old nut and put it on before I put on this axle nut. I am wondering if the noise that Im getting is that nut rubbing up against that washer or I am wondering if that prevented me from getting the axle torqued down right. I think what I will do is take the nut off and take the washer off and take the wheel off and just make sure everything is tightened down properly. Any idea on torque specs for ball joint pinch bolt, tie rod end, and strut pinch bolt? I just want to make sure I have everything done properly. The car finally drives like it should agian I just want to get rid of this annoying whistling/squealing noise. Also is there any chance that the noise could be the new bearing?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to update that the small metal shield that covers the ball joint was bent out and touching the rotor and that was the noise. The shield was pretty mangled so I just tore it off and everything is good to go wheel bearing and axle and everything is now good to go.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx for closing this out with the resolution.

Better to find the 'little" problem that tear it apart again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts