Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed the Prothane front sway bar bushings and upgraded the end links about 3 mths ago with the new ones from Ford.

Has anyone had problems with the SVT front sway bar sliding to the side at the point were the relief is for the original bushing. Had alignment done today after replacing the entire front suspension and was good for about 50 miiles. Then I hit a rough road and it starting vibrating, wobbling and riding like crap. When I got under to take a look, the sway bar had moved about an inch to the left at the relief point. When it happens it collapses, since the endlinks are no longer in line and allows the weight to bottom out. Is my logic correct or is it something else. I searched and could not find anything.....Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE............

Just disassembled again. It appears that the fairly new end links both have an end that has failed. The sway bar bushings seemed dry and the bar was extremly hard to move. Thinking maybe that things were binding up and caused the end links to fail which caused the bar to get pushed around. Sound logical? After everything I've done I'm not sure anymore.

So I greased the bushings again and will be getting new links....We'll see what happens.....

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
you had an alignment done, then you went out and hit a patch of uneven road surface... Then your car got messed up?

When it was working fine for the last 3 months.

It seems like the place that did the alignment didn't torque something down to spec?

Or it could be something entirely different.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The factory bar and bushings have a detent that fits together to keep the bar from walking from side to side. When you install an aftermarket one, you will need to use either 5/8" heaterhose clamps on the inside of each mount bushing or use some swaybar clamps. Energy Suspension makes a couple universal ones just for this application.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah......my bad. It hasn't been right for about 6 mths. One piece failing after another. So I got tired of replacing piece by piece and ordered the dampner kit from Tousley and installed along with new springs and prothane bushings and endlinks in the rear and prothane front sway and bumpstops in front. Been fighting this problem since installing new stuff and finally saw were it was moving. I just wanna drive it like I stole it again. LoL

I love this car when it's right, but haven't gotten it there yet. But I aint givin up!!
Wife says SELL IT.....but I got too much time invested for someone else to benefit from it. I been in the shop for many hours and she don't see me much. Hears me cussin A LOT!..

OK.. regarding the clamps. I actually bought some and was going to try that but thought it might be a kinda "Jimmy Fix". Hadn't thought about the heater hose to clamp to. I thought the clamp would get pushed around on the bar by itself . But I'm gonna give it a try. Hate to take out the prothane bushings and put the factory ones back. I'll try this first.

Thank you b16sir!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question. Could the prothane bumpstops be causing the pushing and binding by limiting the travel and hammering the sway bar when it hits.. Just a thought...

I also just purchased end links from Napa since the OEM ones don't seem to hold up for long. The Napa ones have bigger ball joints but smaller rod. I'll let you know how they hold up. But, I'm sure the part failures and moving sway bar and collapse didn't help the OEM part any. Never seen a suspension that depends so much on each piece to function properly. Or at least halfway properly....

Thanks again..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You... Thank You...... Thank You..

Holy Freakin Focus!....It allworks like its new again. Well Almost..LoL

The hose and clamps did the trick along with the new end links. Best it's driven since the new parts installed. The fromt sway bar has been moving around the whole time. Why would'nt Prothane or CFM make you aware of this problem? Hell, I'll buy the clamp to prevent Focus Suicide. Just tell me about it.

Live and Learn I guess. I just thought it was something I had done or not done.

Thanks Again..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts