Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have some clunking on the front end when turning and going over some small bumps, etc. I did do some searching and possibly could be a bad CV joint, dogbone mount, upper strut mount, ball joint, strut bearing

Suspension was redone about 10,000 miles ago, sway bar end links done 17,000 miles ago. Have never touched the motor mounts or anything else to my knowledge.

Could a bolt have worked itself loose somewhere. The noise is worse when it is wet out or raining. It only makes a noise when I am in the process of turning the wheel, then turning back to straighten out it clunks again.

Makes the same noise over certain bumps, but near as bad as when the end links were bad. They could probably use some more grease though.

Took a look at the springs today while the shop had it lifted up, the springs aren't rubbing against each other, Im out of ideas.

Don't want to have to spend more money than what I have to. Will answer questions the best that I can.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Doesn't sound like a motor mount issue. Definitely seems to be a suspension component from your description. I would put my money on the strut mounts with the information you've provided. How many miles are on your car?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well a 2002 Se, 65,000 miles on it, but it is 12 years old...

So you think I need new strut mounts? if thats the case, what brand and such? Any other ideas?

My suspension set up is KYB struts with M2 lowering springs, package deal to go together.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well a 2002 Se, 65,000 miles on it, but it is 12 years old...

So you think I need new strut mounts? if thats the case, what brand and such? Any other ideas?

My suspension set up is KYB struts with M2 lowering springs, package deal to go together.
Did you re-use the original strut mounts when you installed the springs and struts? I know when I did the springs and struts on my Mustang everyone recommended getting new strut mounts because they were known to get a little clunky after the other upgrades.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can ask the shop tomorrow. I can guarantee you they did reuse them though since I didn't buy any. Guess the search for strut mounts is on[race][wrenchin]

·
Registered
739 Posts
I can ask the shop tomorrow. I can guarantee you they did reuse them though since I didn't buy any. Guess the search for strut mounts is on[race][wrenchin]
Also just a bit more info for you, the strut mount and strut bearings are essentially the same thing. The strut mount assembly contains bearings. It might be worth it to take your front wheels off and check the condition of the rubber boots on your ball joints and tie rod ends though. If those are deteriorating those could be on their way out. Wouldn't surprise me either seeing as it's a 12 year old vehicle.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to wait till Friday to do this. Yeah I guess looking back it pretty much one in the same.

Thanks for you help. See what others peoples opinions are but I have a start at least to do some research on.

Age is definitely starting to show.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Jack the front end up and grab the sway bar end link and jerk it around, up and down.

If it moves, rattles, replace it. They are notorious for making the noise you are describing.

Check both sides.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even though they have grease fitting and were put on probably around a year ago? They have a lifetime warrenty if I find the receipt.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
I have a croak-ish groan in the back of mine, only seems to do it with an above half tank of gas. So it is more than likely a spring/strut issue.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i am just going to replace the mounts since I read you should do it anyway when you replace the shocks and struts. All I need now is a brand to choose. Should i go with Moog or what do you all use?

·
Registered
739 Posts
So i am just going to replace the mounts since I read you should do it anyway when you replace the shocks and struts. All I need now is a brand to choose. Should i go with Moog or what do you all use?
Moog would probably be the best quality in my opinion. Either that or another set of Ford ones. Tasca Auto Parts has the Ford ones for about $17 a piece.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well checked the bolts. 4 were loose so I will drive home and see if the clunking stops. If not then I will get new strut mount.

The moog ones were 2-3 times more expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. Seeing what village ford can do for me.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well checked the bolts. 4 were loose so I will drive home and see if the clunking stops. If not then I will get new strut mount.

The moog ones were 2-3 times more expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. Seeing what village ford can do for me.
In all honesty if the strut mounts are the issue and they're only just now causing problems 12 years later I'd say the Ford ones are pretty good quality as well. Definitely keep us up to date on your progress though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine has the same clunk. I'll check the sway bar links this weekend. My wife's old 2001 beetle would eat up lower control arm rear bushings. Is that a common problem on these too?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In all honesty if the strut mounts are the issue and they're only just now causing problems 12 years later I'd say the Ford ones are pretty good quality as well. Definitely keep us up to date on your progress though.

First progress update.

Well tightened 4 of the 6 down, just wrist tight in the parking lot with a socket. They turned about half a revolution. The 3 worst were on the Driver side, they needed it. Just one on passenger side.

Tightening down seemed to do the trick. I turned sharper on purpose and it was smooth as can be, the bumps didn't cause a rattle, ahh the quiet. I guess when the shop did the suspension they didn't tighten them down all the way or the vibration from being rust free loosened them up.

Anyway for right now the problem is gone. Curious to see if it comes back in the rain or it's wet out.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine has the same clunk. I'll check the sway bar links this weekend. My wife's old 2001 beetle would eat up lower control arm rear bushings. Is that a common problem on these too?

I would check the end links first. The factory ones tend to last around 46,000 miles. Unless you had suspension overhauled that is where I would start.

I don't know anything about the lower control arm, sorry.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
You must grease the greaseable end links every 5 to 6,000 miles FWIW

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You must grease the greaseable end links every 5 to 6,000 miles FWIW

I wasn't aware it was that often. It's already on the to do list for the weekend.

Holding off on buying new strut mounts for now.

·
Registered
739 Posts
First progress update.

Well tightened 4 of the 6 down, just wrist tight in the parking lot with a socket. They turned about half a revolution. The 3 worst were on the Driver side, they needed it. Just one on passenger side.

Tightening down seemed to do the trick. I turned sharper on purpose and it was smooth as can be, the bumps didn't cause a rattle, ahh the quiet. I guess when the shop did the suspension they didn't tighten them down all the way or the vibration from being rust free loosened them up.

Anyway for right now the problem is gone. Curious to see if it comes back in the rain or it's wet out.
Are you referring to the nuts on the strut towers? I had that in the back of my mind as well but didn't mention it because I didn't think that would cause a rattling as much as it would a clunk when turning your wheel. I actually didn't tighten those down as much as I should have on my Mustang and had a clunk when turning my wheel until I tightened those up again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts