Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be replacing most of my front suspension. I'm stuck on a couple of bolts and nuts. The ones I'm looking for are for the rear mount on the control arm, the bolt and or nut that holds the ball joint to the spindle, and the nuts that go on the end link. Part numbers would be great because I've got a dealership right around the corner. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The dealer should be able to get what you need without part numbers. Just go to the parts counter and describe what you need. The parts counter at my Ford dealer has the computer on a spinning platform and they just twirl it around so I can point at the parts I need on the exploded diagram. Then I pay out the butt for them and wait for them to arrive cuz they are never in stock [:)]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of a problem though. I already went down there, and for the bolts on the control arm rear mount, they said they didn't have those and I should go to a hardware store for them. I figure if I could find part numbers, it would be simpler than going down there and trying to explain to them that they do sell them.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I hear ya. The only suggestion I have is to make them pull up the diagram on the computer and see if the bolts are listed. (and let you look at what they are looking at) I had to do that for those weird "cam bolts" for the rear suspension. But the regular size/shape bolts I bought elsewhere. I started at some of the really well stocked places but no one carried the hardened metric bolts in the size I needed. They had the 8.8s though which held until I could get the 10.6s.

You can order bolts like that online however. I found what I needed that way and the place didn't require me to buy more than I needed. Waiting for shipping might be an issue for you though....

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I've never had any luck getting hardware from the dealer...I usually just take the extracted bolt to the hardware store and buy grade 8 replacements, its cheaper anyways. You could buy five grade-8's for the price of one of the bolts the dealer sells you, assuming they have it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
^^ absolutely agree. I only bought the odd bolts from Ford, I think it was $30 for two bolts, nuts and washers. The rest were bought online because nobody around me had the 10.6 (grade 8 equivalent) metric bolts in the size I needed. NAPA had the best selection (I happen to live near the regional distribution center store) but they only had the 8.8 (grade 5 equivalent) in the large metric sizes.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I just did a google search "metric bolts online 10.9" and got a number of sites. I used boltdepot.com but they only have standard shape bolts/nuts. This would work for the control arm but IIRC you will need flanged nuts for the end link (sway bar end link I assume....) and ball joint on the spindle.

Sorry I do not know the sizes you need. If you have one in hand you can take it to the hardware store. They should have a size gauge of some sort to check diameter and thread pitch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Does anyone happen to have the sizes? I won't be able to have one to compare until I take out my control arm, and then I won't have a car to drive anywhere to compare or get it measured. Thanks

Edit: Is there anywhere I can get those exploded diagrams besides the dealership, or is Ford the only place that has access to them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.