Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Ford Focus Wagon...DOHC Zetec.

So when I drive over bumpy roads I hear a clunk type noise in the front end drivers side. It is a definite CLUNK...I know you all understand what I mean...

I went to my Ford Dealer and asked about the struts and got the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair response "we can't recommend the struts because they aren't leaking"... I mean the tires aren't cupping, the front end doesn't dive when braking, there no up and down movement, the bushings look good, tie rods are tight...and I just replaced the sway bar and links... so I'm relegated to think it's the strut(s).

Is there another way to tell if they are bad?

Also I saw some full assemblies with spring for like $50...Are these for real or are they crap? Monroe full assemblies were around $112 each which is why I'm asking...

Any help is appreciated a lot!

BTW [ffrocks]

Thanks

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The top bumper where the strut fits into the chassis tub may be worn, and that spot is where the strut is dropping down a bit and banging back up again.
So it is not the actual strut, but the cushion on top of it between the top of the strut and the inside top of the chassis tub it rests in. would be my guess.

·
Registered
784 Posts
It's very unusual for a strut to clunk. In most cases a clunk will be the upper strut mount or a ball joint. If the strut isn't leaking and seems to ride normally you should look somewhere else for the noise. In most cases ball joints are more likely to be worn than the strut mounts.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's very unusual for a strut to clunk. In most cases a clunk will be the upper strut mount or a ball joint. If the strut isn't leaking and seems to ride normally you should look somewhere else for the noise. In most cases ball joints are more likely to be worn than the strut mounts.
I agree with Obocecha it is likely worn strut mounts. I just replaced mine with the same issue. Noise is gone rides like new.[cheers]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was thinking that maybe the struts have already been replaced because the ones I have are Yellow (maybe spray painted yellow), not black like all the Foci I've seen at the salvage yards. The other thing is that on the top side it looks like there may have been one of those strut bar things that goes from side to side because the inner most bolt area has little to no paint on it...it looks like it was rubbed off.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the strut mounts are the triangular, 3-bolt gizmos, right?

I suppose I'd need a spring compressor to remove them right? Should I replace the struts while I'm there?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Compression clunk or extension clunk?

I get a clunk after going over speed bumps rapidly on the extension....... (It's always done that)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Lift the car up, check for play. 3-9oclock play means tie rods/steering box and noon-6 means ball joint. If its loose all the way around, wheel bearing. If it checks okay, have a look at your strut bearings, these usually go out much faster than the strut top plate.

Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts