Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Would go with massive they have the bar with 3 hole support.
@pasta too late, the other day i ordered a fswerks front strut brace for my duratec. will take a picture side by side with the other one before i install the duratec brace.

wonder how much difference there truly is between the 2 hole ones like fswerks and the massive 3 hole ones?

the non-duratec bar will be up for sale.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Strut tower braces are seen as a last effort approach. In the older days they did a lot more but with the modern uni body car there is already so much going on there your tower is not going to flex putting your car out of alignment on the stock suspension.

And you have tolerance slop with the bolt holes, you are using only 2 or 3 10 mm bolts clamping force to prevent hundreds of pounds so a lateral force. 3 bolts will help but likely would still have a fair amount of movement. It would be interesting if any of the designers of these bars had high end Cad modeling (or if Ford would model it). Then you could see the stress and movement stock and then model with a bar and see if there is any delta.

You are now forcing all the movement into the control arms and likely soft OEM rubber bushings.

Fully understand that the cost is one of the cheaper and easier things to do. But you will get a whole lot more if you change to poly mounts, different Sway bar, adjustable Sway bar to be able to put some type or preload, aftermarket control arms, springs and Shocks and struts.

It makes your engine bay look nice.

Hope you enjoy the purchase and it starts the modification bug on your foci.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
^^ The ST must have had enough that in their molding it showed with the stiffer suspension on the ST to help improve something.

Could have been a "selling" point also I suppose. Did Ford Racing even offer a strut bar for the Mk1? Was it on the RS over in Europe on the Mk1 or Mk2 RS or ST210 or ST170?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
So why did Ford but a bar on the MKIII ST? Definitely not for looks because it's hidden.

Sent from another garage.
All of the foci's need a poly rear lower mount (dogbone) specially the '13+ ST's.

·
Registered
671 Posts
^^ The ST must have had enough that in their molding it showed with the stiffer suspension on the ST to help improve something.

Could have been a "selling" point also I suppose. Did Ford Racing even offer a strut bar for the Mk1? Was it on the RS over in Europe on the Mk1 or Mk2 RS or ST210 or ST170?
As far as I'm aware Ford Racing did not. I have Ford Racing catalogs going back to 2005 and none of them have strut tower braces for the Focus, only the Mustang.

I've also been told that with the Focus the strut tower brace is unnecessary because the strut towers are so close to the firewall, that the firewall almost acts about the same as a strut brace would. Makes sense when you look at a Mustang engine bay and the strut towers are halfway in-between the radiator and the firewall, and Ford has always had strut tower braces for them.

Now rear shock-tower braces are another story...

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,624 Posts
I swapped out the ST brace for an aftermarket one and noticed a difference. So I will say they help. However if it as big of a help as say a Mustang. Probably not. Really the only reason I swapped is so I can mod the towers and easily adjust my camber by opening up the hole more.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Strut tower braces are seen as a last effort approach. In the older days they did a lot more but with the modern uni body car there is already so much going on there your tower is not going to flex putting your car out of alignment on the stock suspension.

And you have tolerance slop with the bolt holes, you are using only 2 or 3 10 mm bolts clamping force to prevent hundreds of pounds so a lateral force. 3 bolts will help but likely would still have a fair amount of movement. It would be interesting if any of the designers of these bars had high end Cad modeling (or if Ford would model it). Then you could see the stress and movement stock and then model with a bar and see if there is any delta.

You are now forcing all the movement into the control arms and likely soft OEM rubber bushings.

Fully understand that the cost is one of the cheaper and easier things to do. But you will get a whole lot more if you change to poly mounts, different Sway bar, adjustable Sway bar to be able to put some type or preload, aftermarket control arms, springs and Shocks and struts.

It makes your engine bay look nice.

Hope you enjoy the purchase and it starts the modification bug on your foci.
@Magus2727 thanks for the info, ive had the mod bug long before i owned a focus , all the way back to the first car i ever owned ('69 impala 2 door hard top)

i will be doing the lower stress bar and upgraded front and rear sway bars from fswerks and poly. also gonna be doing upgrade springs shocks/struts. leaning towards eibach or ford racing at the moment.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Get the sportline system= springs/dampers. Eibach also has a 22mm front bar as well as a 25mm rear. You can get the whole kit w/ the sway bars too.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Get the sportline system= springs/dampers. Eibach also has a 22mm front bar as well as a 25mm rear. You can get the whole kit w/ the sway bars too.....
@felixthecat , im really leaning that direction. everything in one kit is nice. the front and back sway bars are also what i was looking at.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
well i got my fswerks strut tower brace and lower stress brace the other day, got the strut tower brace installed. got it installed (required a bit of elbow grease to get it over the nuts) and fits tight and snug. too bad it was offered in chrome like the focusSport one is. these appear to be powercoated, so silver is a DULL silver.

did notice a bit of difference in cornering so will be happy when i get my lower stress brace installed along with the rear one.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
well i got my fswerks strut tower brace and lower stress brace the other day, got the strut tower brace installed. got it installed (required a bit of elbow grease to get it over the nuts) and fits tight and snug. too bad it was offered in chrome like the focusSport one is. these appear to be powercoated, so silver is a DULL silver.

did notice a bit of difference in cornering so will be happy when i get my lower stress brace installed along with the rear one.
Same color as mine....

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts

stress bar? you mean swaybar?

·
Registered
592 Posts
This reminds me, I need to get a set of sway bars installed on my sedan. I'm sitting in an AutoZone parking lot and my car is rocking back and forth from the wind, I can only imagine what the highway is going to be like. -_-

21 - 40 of 48 Posts