Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two 12 inch subwoofers connected to my 2017 focus SE and I spliced it into the back speakers. The issue is although the back door speakers work along with the bass from the subwoofer the front door speakers and 2 front dash speakers no longer work. My question is if this is normal and your forced to pick one or the other?

·
Registered
152 Posts
So I have two 12 inch subwoofers connected to my 2017 focus SE and I spliced it into the back speakers. The issue is although the back door speakers work along with the bass from the subwoofer the front door speakers and 2 front dash speakers no longer work. My question is if this is normal and your forced to pick one or the other?
Not normal, you messed something up

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not sure what I messed up since I didn't splice into the front speaker wires at all?
Not sure, but I know plenty of people do this and usually use the rear. Also a big reason I avoid touching the factory wires of any kind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure, but I know plenty of people do this and usually use the rear. Also a big reason I avoid touching the factory wires of any kind.

I did use the rear only now the front won't work. There is 4 wires for front and four wires for the back I cut the four wires in the back and connected those 4 to the rca adapter but the other 4 I left alone completely.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,104 Posts
Did this happen when you added the subs to the rear wires or at some point afterward?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
There is 4 wires for front and four wires for the back I cut the four wires in the back and connected those 4 to the rca adapter
What do you mean by this? The speaker wires are high level amplified signal wires. The RCA inputs are low level unamplified wires. How exactly did you wire these? Explain in clear detail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wired up a line output converter to the radio. The line output converter has 6 wires I used 4 to splice into the rear wires because it gives u an option to splice the 4 in the front or the 4 in the back. I spliced it correctly according to the video.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The way that you first explained it seemed like you connected RCA cables directly onto speaker wires somehow. Now I see what you meant.
Lots of amps have high level inputs as well so at the beginning I assumed that you just tapped into the speaker wires and connected to the amp that way.
The only thing I can guess is that maybe the polarity is backwards and caused some sort of short in the radio or audio module that took out the front speaker output somehow. There should be an amp in the dash or in the radio itself for the front speakers. Maybe that stopped working for the front 2 channels. Possibly the line output converter is somehow backfeeding into the the amp and shorting/shorted out the front channels. Idk, that's not supposed to happen.
Perhaps the speakers got turned down all the way in the audio settings somehow.
Disconnect the converter from the rear speaker wires and see if the fronts come back on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What type of line out converter did you use? Little cheap one? Maybe you can try getting a better one. I have a "Gravity" converter that I installed in my Focus. Works good. I've installed line-out converters in probably 5 different vehicles and have never seen this happen before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What type of line out converter did you use? Little cheap one? Maybe you can try getting a better one. I have a "Gravity" converter that I installed in my Focus. Works good. I've installed line-out converters in probably 5 different vehicles and have never seen this happen before.
I bought one from o Reilly auto parts for around 25$.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have another question and hopefully you know the answer. Could it be because Im using a power acoustik 2 ohm 2500 watt max mono block amp? My subs are 2 ohms. Also Do u have a link to the gravity modification?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts