Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so i went over to my local ABT store the other day to pick up some dynamat, and i figured i would also grab a pair of kenwood speakers that they had on sale.
I was wanting to upgrade the speakers in the hopes that, in combo with the dynamat, it would give the bass in the car that suttle yet perfect kick.
When i was talking to the employee he told me that upgrading the speakers would do absolutely nothing and that my best bet would be to spend $600-$800 on a sub and amp instead.

I really really dont want a sub. Its not that i have anything against them, it just seems like a lot more hassle than its worth. My knowledge of electronics tells me that better speakers should equal better music quality, including the bass.
Am i wrong?? Help me out here

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
This question is better served in the car audio and electronics section.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved.

I don't think you're wrong, at least for lower volumes. Better speakers usually help with better quality sound & unless all you want is volume they're the place to start before adding a Sub IMHO.

"SUB" is the thing to have, very popular so that person prob. doesn't consider a system worth using without one. Could also be on commission so his/her opinion also helps income.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I will add the fact the upgraded speakers will need an aftermarket amp for them to sound much better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies guys and thanks for moving this thread.

Honestly i just like to go out for a drive and listen to some good Trance music.
I bought a new HU this summer and while it did increase the quality of the music and it was cool n such, i noticed that at higher volumes the bass just didnt seem to keep up with the rest even though i used to like my stock speakers.

Today I decided to go and get those speakers anyway, and i installed them and just got back from testing them out...
I was absolutely blown away...night and day difference!
And i have picky ears! [woot]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next im buying an amplifier. This is pretty cool.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Welcome to the addiction

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^This

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Yeah it is pretty crazy what good speakers will do compared to stock! Then with the HU on top it just adds to it. I have had my "system" in for a year and a half or more, no amp needed for me. It is enough for what I need.

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
Wait till you get some really good speakers and headunit in there and hear the difference.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait till you get some really good speakers and headunit in there and hear the difference.
Yeah it is pretty crazy what good speakers will do compared to stock! Then with the HU on top it just adds to it. I have had my "system" in for a year and a half or more, no amp needed for me. It is enough for what I need.
I feel the same way. The HU was a much needed addition as I could only use my iPod with an FM Transmitter. I always knew that i didn't need to jump all the way to a sub to get what i needed from the audio. And i have a feeling that once I DynaMat the back doors and put the new speakers back there I will be happy with sticking to that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well then. To anyone willing to help, i could use some.
I did those front speakers and they are working and sounding just fine.
However, when i put in the rear speakers and tested them today, neither of the rears are working properly. Barely any sound is coming out of them and a tiny little bit of bass. I had to put my ear right next to them to hear anything even at high volume.
This doesnt make any sense. Im almost positive that the stock speakers were working just fine back there.
The only thing i did differently in the back than i did with the front, is while stripping the wires to attach the terminal connectors, I was not nearly as careful.
In the front i made an effort to strip them flawlessly, but in the back if i pulled that rubber coating off and a couple wires had broken off with it I didnt worry about it. Could that be the problem?

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
Sounds like there is another issue. Maybe grounding somewhere. I never strip OEM connections, I alwasy make adapters. if all else fails, just run wires from the deck to the door speakers. if I am running a OEM speakers i use OEM harness but if I replace the HU and speakers I always run new speaker wire.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
I have always used adaptors as well. Wiring could be your problem. Could be speakers are bad but I doubt it.

Never happened to me so I can't help out much. Just rewire them and see if it works better when done carefully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts