Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gotta quick question, have an '02 ZX5 95k miles and just started hearing right front clunking noise. so i started reading through the forums and noticed a possible coil spring issue, possible breakage, and wanted to find out if my Focus may have spring issues and recall for this??
Planning a long trip and wanted to make sure I don't end up broken down or worse on the road. Any help on this would be appreciated.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
All Focuses between 1998-2004 fall under that recall, hey have a 10year 150k extended on those springs...

if you look at the spring it will be evident that it broke

and the clunking noise could be a number of things
1. Stab links ( Stabilizer/sway)
2. Ball joints
3. Frame mounts/Strut Bearings
4. Springs

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
^^^ This is true. last winter when i had my 2001. the front springs broke nearly in half when i drove over a frost heave at just 20mph!! get it into a dealer. its a recall so it wont cost nothing!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked with a local dealer and this is not any type of recall. it falls under their "Customer Satisfaction" program. In other words they will replace the springs if and only if they break. Also this seems to be a geographic problem, so if your vehicle was never driven in the Northern states with snow, road salt etc. they won't do anything about it. Again it seems that Ford will only deal with it across the board if someone gets hurt or worse and lawsuits are thrown their way.

I say let them file bankruptcy and fire all those lousy SOB's at the top that continue to run that company into the ground.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Actually its listed as a voluntary recall.. :) Ive never heard of customer satisfaction..

LOl peoples lives are on the line when they do go, some people have crashed some haven't my focus wagon was one of the few that crashed (slow speed tho)

I'd check that because theres people in Florida on the forums that have lost there springs, ive lost a spring and alot of others have its not geographical, its a quality control failure of when they were first manufactured.. the springs in question were made in a way with no quality checks nor did they do stress fracture/failure check on them before they left, the new springs were built in another plant..

I would tell that dealer you went to, to get lost and go elsewhere there trying to scam you.. Ask mike at hilbish

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
actually i believe the coil spring recall was for the 00-01 focus
and the 01 taurus's as well.
it was a bad blend of metals they used for the springs in a specific factory.

i know yous is an 02 but i can almost put money on it being specific to 00 and 01's
if you look at the stance of the car it will be signifancantly dropped on one side and the tires will looks very close to the fender

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
XD wish that was my case, my wheel dropped almost all the way into the wheel well pulling the wagon into a ramp retaining wall :p

either way it was replaced

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
I had a clunking in my addjustable coils and I put a bigger sway bar on the front and haven't herd it since

·
Registered
58 Posts
Checked with a local dealer and this is not any type of recall. it falls under their "Customer Satisfaction" program. In other words they will replace the springs if and only if they break. Also this seems to be a geographic problem, so if your vehicle was never driven in the Northern states with snow, road salt etc. they won't do anything about it. Again it seems that Ford will only deal with it across the board if someone gets hurt or worse and lawsuits are thrown their way.

I say let them file bankruptcy and fire all those lousy SOB's at the top that continue to run that company into the ground.
Hahaha that's so true! Let em go under! That way someone will buy em out, and mabe drop the cost of all there parts....I also have a clunk... I just perchased svt struts/springs, ill let yah know how that goes

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Ford Windstars had the same problem. There fix was new springs and a catch plate.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i can almost put money on it being specific to 00 and 01's
DON'T PLACE THAT BET! You would lose. I had the front right spring on my '02 replaced under the super-double-secret warranty back in 2006.

It is not a recall... it's an extended warranty. They'll only replace it for free if the spring is broken.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I should have read this thread first. My daughters 2001 with 50K (two MI winters) broke a front spring - I never dreamed it would be covered. The local shop had monroe "quickstruts" on sale - they seem to work fine and easy to install.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts