Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sure I'm being an idiot here, but I can't seem to figure out how to mount the front plate bracket.

We purchased a new '14 focus electric, and I have identified the dimples on the front bumper that guide where the plate should go to be centered, and I have the kit and screws that came with the car (and the dealer was just too lazy to install) but I can't figure out how to use the screws. Can someone explain how they work?
As far as I can tell, they don't have a side that would work with a screwdriver. I have the third screw (the photo only shows two), just gotta find where it rolled off to :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll actually end up asking a nearby dealer to do it.

The dealer we bought it from is like 60 minutes away or something (I always bid dealers against each other via email... got this dealer to do the car for 5% under invoice + incentives)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The 'nearby' dealer may do it as a favor. But realize they are NOT getting paid.
The dealer you bought the car from was the one who was paid (by Ford) to install the front plate.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
^what she said

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
thanks for the information. I may just end up having to go to the further one, but we shall see.
I was going to say on your next oil change, I am sure they will do it for free since it doesn't take long for them to do it. However, it's electric, no oil to change!

What I will suggest instead is calling Ford, tell them the other dealer is too far and they should had done it. Ask them to pay the bill at the dealer next to you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Most dealers just ignore the plate bracket and drill screws straight into the bumper and slap a plate on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting, my 2014 SE HB doesn't have any provisions for a mounting bracket. The plate is screwed into the bumper which is completely flat.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
There are different front ends with different mounting options. The basic 2012 to 2014 Focus MK3 has no need for any 'extra' mounting device, as the plate can screw right to the bumper in the flat spot 'built in' to the front plastic.
For the Electric Focus, and the ST, there is NO place pre-fashioned for the plate, and a separate bracket would need to be used.
I believe the op has an Electric Focus.

I now have a ST, and did not let them put the front license bracket on. (even though a front plate is mandatory in WI.)
I have my front plate hung on the passenger side sunshade.
it is 'sort of' legal.
The law reads 'visible from front of car'. With the unanswered question if front has to be the front bumper?
So I had my 99' Contour SVT plate in the windshield too, for 13 years.. (that car also looked better with no front plate hung on the front) Never stopped for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts