Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 ZTS and the front passenger power window doesn't operate from the passenger side - it does, however, operate from the driver's side.

And the child-safety is switched to the right (allow all passenger windows to be open from that passenger door).

The two rear door power windows operate fine from their respective seats (and driver switches too).

Any ideas??

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two-year bump - still having the issue.

I bought a working/used switch from a 2003 passenger door and same issue. The fact I can control up/down from the driver side makes me think the switch was never the issue to begin with since the car requires a WORKING SWITCH on a respective door to be attached in order to open from even the driver side.

Thoughts?

MODS, PLEASE MOVE THIS TO TECHNICAL CHAT - THANKS!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved it for you.

FWIW - on window circuits I've had the "fun" of working on, the passenger switch only needed to work right in the "off" position for the drivers control to work. Unless the new 'used' switch was tested, confirming it works might still be a first step. PITA to swap it into a rear door to check, cheaper than another switch that might not fix the issue. To REALLY 'blow your mind", the driver's switch could be the problem if it isn't working right in IT'S off position. Joys & thrills. Had a similar intermittent issue in a Bud's 944 that ended up being the driver's door wiring harness - even with a wiring diagram it was a pain to test it all, writing down all the results so as not to confuse myself or miss a detail.

Luck!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Check the wiring from the door to the frame. I haven't had it with the Focus, but I had a Caravan that had that problem from a bare wire in the door harness.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the wiring from the door to the frame. I haven't had it with the Focus, but I had a Caravan that had that problem from a bare wire in the door harness.
In the boot itself? Or in the wiring within the door ?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moved it for you.

FWIW - on window circuits I've had the "fun" of working on, the passenger switch only needed to work right in the "off" position for the drivers control to work. Unless the new 'used' switch was tested, confirming it works might still be a first step. PITA to swap it into a rear door to check, cheaper than another switch that might not fix the issue. To REALLY 'blow your mind", the driver's switch could be the problem if it isn't working right in IT'S off position. Joys & thrills. Had a similar intermittent issue in a Bud's 944 that ended up being the driver's door wiring harness - even with a wiring diagram it was a pain to test it all, writing down all the results so as not to confuse myself or miss a detail.

Luck!
With all of my research last night, I found info that is leading me to the driver's switch, as you mentioned above! Crazy! It's like the driver door is the "ground" for the other 3 switches and vice versa.

I'm not sure why I bought the new switch - I just remembered that when I pulled the panels off the passenger front and rear doors in the Spring, the switch for the front window operated the back window successfully. So the passenger switch is fine.

Onto the master tonight..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts