Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did $500 worth of damage by parking over a tall curb... gimme a break I've driven 4x4's for the last 15 years.

My question is, can someone provide a picture of their OEM front parking sensors?

Mine obviously doesn't have them, and I want to add aftermarket sensors and have them look as factory as possible.

Thanks,

HS

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ouch! I don't suppose you could give us a pic of the damage and the rough height of the curb?

I'm surprised the bumper wouldn't be flexible enough to cope.

·
Registered
425 Posts

There's two in the black grille next to the licence plate too, can't really see them in that picture.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
@mysticbluebmw
nice car :)

I assume the front sensors are for the Parking Technology only?
Yeah, you only get the front sensors and the rear camera if you get the parking tech package. It's the one that parks itself.

·
Banned
571 Posts
My '12 Focus Ti can sense the height of the curbs and it let's me know if the bumper will hit it or clear it.

A horrible incident that has forever haunted my ability to confidently move forward from a parking spot [ohcrap]

I parked my car in one of those large store parking lots that have those randomly placed movable concrete bumpers. I came out of the store approaching my car from the rear. Got in, started her up and accelerated forward fairly quickly.

Ran into that damn concrete parking guide. Ripped off the bottom of the bumper and one tire made it over the barrier. Had to call a tow truck and endure "what an idiot" stares from the shoppers for over an hour [:(].

Can't remember how much damage but I needed a new bumper, an alignment and paint [facepalm] This happened about 15 yrs ago.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that's way off to the side. I guess that is needed to p-park. I saw on fordparts.com that the new grill insert with parking sensor holes is $150 maybe I can get that and not drill holes in the bumper. I really just need the warning for curbs.

Dethpickle - The damn curb was like a foot high, and I'm used to bumping my 35" tires off a curb and then slamming it in park. I just wasn't paying attention. I'm still pissed.

Will try to get a photo tonight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My '12 Focus Ti can sense the height of the curbs and it let's me know if the bumper will hit it or clear it.

A horrible incident that has forever haunted my ability to confidently move forward from a parking spot [ohcrap]

I parked my car in one of those large store parking lots that have those randomly placed movable concrete bumpers. I came out of the store approaching my car from the rear. Got in, started her up and accelerated forward fairly quickly.

Ran into that damn concrete parking guide. Ripped off the bottom of the bumper and one tire made it over the barrier. Had to call a tow truck and endure "what an idiot" stares from the shoppers for over an hour [:(].

Can't remember how much damage but I needed a new bumper, an alignment and paint [facepalm] This happened about 15 yrs ago.
Ugh I did something similar in Walmart parking lot. Got both front tires over the little curb strip before I realized what happened and was nearly bottomed out, but had just enough traction to get the rest of the way over, scraping the underbody the whole way. It's a miracle no repairs were necessary.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know if the front is pre-wired for sensors if you have the rear sensors? I'm starting to really wish I had gotten the parking tech package.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does anyone know if the front is pre-wired for sensors if you have the rear sensors? I'm starting to really wish I had gotten the parking tech package.

Yea that's my biggest regret was not getting that. The back up camera and front sensors would be really nice to have.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Still haven't got to use the park assist yet. Went down to the bank Monday morning and that requires parallel parking, but there were no cars anywhere.... :(

@mysticbluebmw
nice car :)
Thanks Roo, right back at ya! [thumb]

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've used it a couple of times so far. On the way home from work, I got to use it to park in front of the cleaners! I was so giddy. I saw a spot up ahead and quickly clicked on the system. The spot was behind a parked car but in front of a curbside planter (that stuck out into the parallel parking area along the street). As soon as I drove past the spot, it found it (which surprised me because it wasn't bounded by a car at the back). I pulled up, then put in reverse, and it parked it perfectly centered between the curbside planter and the car. Amazing! And it took the same or less time than it would have taken to do it myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really wish I could have waited for the Focus I spec'd out, but alas I had to take what the dealer could get for me when my car up and died.

So back on topic, I have a Titanium and was wondering if anyone has added just the front sensors only.

I dont always hit midgets with my car, but when I do, I like to hear beeping first.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yea that's my biggest regret was not getting that. The back up camera and front sensors would be really nice to have.
Seconded.

I've got the rear sensors, but as useful as they are, it didn't dawn on me at the time that doing sharp turns to avoid hitting the garage or trees... one d'oh for me! (No collisions yet, but come to think of it, I'd probably tune out the beeping noises and it is harder to gauge distance from the rear than it is the front...)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts