Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 2001 focus and we picked up a magnaflow 4" muffler and had it installed. It has a good sound but it isn't loud enough. Now the installer said that there was another muffler in front(not the cat) that could be removed and that would make it louder. 1st off will this make it louder and if so how much? and will it mess w\ any the sensors? Any help would be great. t\y in advance

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
The Focus has two mufflers, one is in the middle of the underside of the car and the second is at the very rear of the car. I believe the rear one is really acting more as a
resonator making the car quieter. Which one did you replace? If you replaced the rear one then the only other muffler is one in the middle. The ideal approach would be to replace the entire thing with a cat-back exhaust however if you already replaced the rear muffler with the Magnaflow then all you need to do is to remove the middle muffler. It will be louder and will not mess with any of the sensors. There is no "front" muffler and your only worry about sensors would be if you start messing with the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah its a resonator in about the middle of the car itll make it louder and I don't think it sould bother the sensors at all

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
If you replaced the rear resonator/silencer with a muffler, you now have two mufflers in series on your exhaust. If the rear resonator was replaced by the muffler, remove it and have it installed under the middle of the car where the actual muffler is.
Why do you want the muffler to be loud ?
Just get a fart can if you want loud.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
code3audio.......FYI, this should have been posted in the ZETEC Performance forum section. You'll get better responses to your questions if you post in the correct topic forum[welcome]

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
I really think your installer should have known better and done a better job explaining your options before slapping the magnaflow muffler on and then telling you " oh, by the way you have another muffler " but that's my 2¢. When I go to others for help and they present themselves as professionals, I expect them to be just that, professionals[offtopic]

·
Registered
793 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me,, but you shoul jusy have 2.5 inch pipe ran from the flex back.. works for me

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Focusedat50 said:
code3audio.......FYI, this should have been posted in the ZETEC Performance forum section. You'll get better responses to your questions if you post in the correct topic forum[welcome]
How do you know he has a Zetec ?
He just states he has a 2001 Focus. It could be an LX with an SPI.

Oh, well....
As you were.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the one on the back was cut and replaced so as to see the the "mirror finished pipe" out the back. So now we have two mufflers inline.... one after the flex and one in the rear. So if we remove the middle oem and straight pipe it it should sound better? And it's not that we want it LOUDER,....just so you can hear it would be nice. Muffler gives it a great sound but you cant hear it at all...Anyways thanks for everyones advice

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
It all depends on your definition of "better". It will be louder, especially with the muffler so close to the end of the pipe. Thats what makes many of those so-called "fart cans" sound the way they do, they're stuck on at the end of the pipe.

To each their own and if not a cat-back I agree with micro, I would put the muffler in the middle and put on a nice chrome tip out the back.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Well, if you got two mufflers inline/series in the exhaust, it's doing it's job.....muffling the sound from your engine..[:)]

Also, I'm notr sure if it's a good idea to remove the muffler in the middle of the car and move it to the rear. Someone else will have to answer that question.

[offtopic]
There's a muffler shop by my house and all they have on display is fart cans in the window that mount at the rear of the exhaust. Probably should stay away from those shops...[nono]

·
Registered
148 Posts
be removing the rear resonator and replacing the middle muffler to an aftermarket, how is it suppose to sound ,not like a "honda '' I hope !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
she was wanting a good deep sound....which the magna flow does...just at a very quite decible. sound is good just want to bring it out. anyway i think were going to remove the middle oem can tomorrow and just put in a straight pipe and hopefully it will wake it up some. i'll repost tomorrow to let you all now what happens...thanks

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
This may not matter, but my sister has the MagnaFlow Catback, which sounds great by the way. Before she had one of those little universal mufflers that weld on the end of the exhaust. With both stock mufflers removed, it sounded really loud, of course it might have been the fart can she had on, but before they removed the front muffler after they welded on the fart can, they cranked her car up and let her decide if she wanted it removed, she claimed it was not loud at all and had them remove the front muffler. Anyway she had no problems with the sensors at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It came off

Well the front oem muffler came off and what a difference. I was worried that it would sound like crap....but it had a good deep sound that wasn't to loud. The cost for everything was about $120 including removing the oem and straight piping it. Another option to consider anyway. Thanks for all you input.[:)~]

·
Registered
793 Posts
code 3 u got a decent price considering labor and the piping, i have the same setup as u

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a 5Zigen muffler for mine. I got it put on the end, and it sounds like crap. I wanted a lower sound, but i can barely even hear this one. When my revs actually do get high enough to hear it, its got a scratchy sound to it. im gonna try taking off the first muffler, and if that doesnt sound good, i'll just put it all back to stock

1 - 20 of 21 Posts